Looking for meat grinder recommendations

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by dla, Oct 15, 2004.

1. dla

dla Well-Known Member

We have been looking at meat grinders in Northern and other catalogs, but would appreciate recommendations. We get a lot of venison, but using the food processor is gettig a little old...

I think what we should look for is the size of the grinding tube, since most of the work is getting the meat cut down into pieces small enough to fit.

Thoughts? Thanks, all :)

2. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

Will send you my meat grinder. Rarely used it, and fall cleaning requirins getting rid of anything I haven't used in the [ast 2 years. Needs a new plate, but works well otherwise. PM me if you are interested.

3. sdrew

sdrew Well-Known Member

Sue,.... if the above person doesn't want it, I would gladly take it off your hands. I also get a deer or 2 a year, and would love to have a meat grinder to do my own hamburg. Let me know. (is it a hand grinder ? I've got one of those)

Thanks, Steve in Maine

4. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Check out The Sausage Maker's website and catalog. They carry everything including parts for grinders and spices.

5. suelandress

To all the folks who PM'd me interested in the grinder.....Ginnie5 PM'd first, so if I still don't hear from dla, I'll go with first come, first serve.

6. suelandress

Oh....it's an Oster heavy duty electric. Needs a good cleaning and a new plate.

7. If you got some money to spend, a lot of meat to grind, or want to make a few extra bucks then I would suggest buying a heavy duty grinder. I have a Torrey M12 and have been very sastified with it. It supposedly will grind some 200 pounds per hour and I believe it could easily do just that. It has a tray on top that is about 10" wide and about 16" long. I've had mine heaped up with deer meat and it would grind it all in just about 5 minutes. When grinding the meat it can't be no bigger than 2" in diameter but it can be as long as the deer itself. I processed other people deer for two years and probably just about used it at least once for every deer brought to me. In fact I had some people have me to grind the whole deer up for burger. Look around on the web for a Torrey M12 if you are interested in one. I think I gave around $600 for mine but really the hunters who brought me a deer did the buying.

8. dla

dla Well-Known Member

Suelandress, you're very generous - please go ahead and send it to whoever contacted you first.
    Lots of good info here - any more advice? It takes me forever to cut the meat by slicing - this year I hope to invest in a cleaver and see if that is faster.

9. blhmabbott

blhmabbott We're gettin' there!

Well, I think it would mostly depend on the number of critters your talking about. Are you going to use it for a couple deer a year? Make sausage out of your pigs? Do you raise your own beef for hamburger?
    If your only going to use it for a few deer a year, then I'd say stick with something smaller....something that fits the "small appliance" category. However, your going to be processing all the animals listed above, I would highly suggest you look around at auctions, estate sales, newspaper ads, etc for a high quality grinder. We've used different brands, but we are happiest with our Hobart. They can be pretty spendy even if bought used, but if you are doing all of the animals listed above, it will pay for itself in one season or less. Our grinding bin is about 24" X 16" and we can grind a 150 lb deer in about 10 min.
    If your going to be processing more than just a couple deer a year, then look at it as an investment. We paid about $300.00 for ours about 5 years ago and it paid for itself the first winter.
    Heather

10. Beststash

Beststash Well-Known Member

After burning up 3 electric grinders over a 5 year period....I created the best grinder I have ever used.
    I made a wooden frame, used old washing machine motor or equiv.,riding lawn-mower transmission, very large mouth hand grinder, and light switch.
    Mount the grinder on the end of the box, take a piece of square tubing and connect to grinder (where handle goes) to transmission, trans to washing machine motor. Control is light switch. You now have a grinder that is very fast, reversible (good when you have a lot of gristle) and when stuffing sausage stuffer attachment - it will stuff as fast as you can handle.
    I know this sounds like a "Barney Google" contraption, but we have used for 10 years and make the whole ordeal a very quick and produces a very professional product.

11. dla

dla Well-Known Member

Well I looked for one online and it had an intake pan the size of mu laundry tub! :eek:
    Are they all that size???