Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Retired Coastie
5,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ruger says, "I've got my best cologne on, I'm in excellent shape, come on girls lets dance." Seriously though old Ruger has romanced three does so far, 10 more girls standing by, and yes he stinks in a good way....Season has begun early @ Topside 1 farms, thank goodness.

·
Registered
6 Posts
That is funny you should bring this up! Our buck, Billy Bob, has started stinking to high heaven, and he really likes me for some reason! He looks so pittiful I have to pet him, and then it takes me two sinks of dishes to get rid of his smell! Thankfully nobody has noticed anything unusual smelling about our dinner plates!

Is that a full blooded boer buck? He is pretty, in a goat sort of way. I love his expression!

BTW If you don't mind me asking, our Billy Bob has started loosing weight something awful since his smell has gotten so bad. He has lost at least 75 pounds over the last couple of weeks. Should we worry about him, or will he fill back in after breeding season? Should we give him extra feed and hay? He is looking very tired when we feed but still seems to have plenty of energy of an evening.

SK

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
Bucks lose a *lot* of weight during breeding season. Junior lost at least 25 lbs in the first two weeks of being turned in with the girls. They don't eat much and they work *all day*. This is why its so important to have bucks in excellent condition and non-wormy when breeding season starts. Its a stressful time of year for them.
So don't worry overly much, *IF* you are sure he is ok on worms and has minerals available.
Some bucks look like the walking dead during peak breeding season.....some don't lose much weight. My Lamancha bucks drops lbs by the minute it seems! :rolleyes:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.