Looking for land.....suggestions needed

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by wolfheart23, Jul 21, 2006.

1. wolfheart23

wolfheart23 Well-Known Member

Hello all! Just wondering if anyone might have some suggestions as to good states (maybe even counties) to buy some land. Here's what I envision:
    four seasons a must, some snow in winter would be ideal. Sugar maples are (almost) necessity; I would like to be able to grow apples, blueberries, cherries, strawberries, a variety of veggies. Livestock: goats, chickens, bees, eventually a cow and geese, possibly some sheep.
    Thanks for your thoughts!

2. Ramblin Wreck

Ramblin Wreck Well-Known Member Supporter

Although I don't live in either place (but close to both), you might want to take a look at North Alabama near Huntsville and Tennessee between Sewanee and Nashville. Both areas have four seasons. Tennessee has no income tax. Alabama's income taxes are low, and the property taxes are very reasonable. Both have relatively easy access to excellent health care, good airports, and as much shopping/cultural "stuff" as any reasonable person would ever want (and probably a lot more). The farm land/crops you can see from I-24 in Tennessee look great. Best wishes for whatever you choose.

3. ET1 SS

ET1 SS zone 5 - riverfrontage Supporter

This area has everything you list, and then some.

And in following land prices, it is hard to find land in other states as cheap as you can still get land here, in Maine.

:)

4. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Think Van Horn Texas 4 seasons low prices and A nice area. Land is reasonable too.

5. ET1 SS

How reasonable?

6. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

LOL! I'm not going to offer any advice on a specific location, just was amused to see the disparity in places people think meets the description of what the original poster is looking for! From Texas to Maine is a pretty wide stretch!

I think you'd better do some research on different locations you think you might like, then make a trip and visit the most promising ones!

Kathleen

7. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Last I heard when I was out there about 1,200 An acre.

8. ET1 SS

That is a good price.

I paid a quarter of that price, but it is a good price when so many other areas have nothing below $2000 an acre.

Is there enough water to grow:
    Sugar maples, apples, blueberries, cherries, strawberries, a variety of veggies

I think that is the list of crops that was asked about.

I had thought of that area as being slightly drier. Maybe the water-table was a bit deep. I could well be incorrect.

My father's well in Missouri just went dry about two weeks ago. And I have been hearing of other wells running dry lately. But this does not appear to be happening up North so much.

Do you guys produce much Maple syrup? From your maple trees.

9. wy0mn

wy0mn Transplanted RedNeck

Four seasons are nice, rainfall is a requirement, but... plan around Jap beetles too. These suckers are all over the southeast. I just sold property in TN, still have rural family in both TN & AL. They are giving up on farming/gardening.
    I tried everything but milky spore, used every kind of trap & poison available. (Milky spore only works if you AND ALL neighbors surrounding you use it.)
    Lex

10. mama2littleman

mama2littleman El Paso

I've been to van horn. The four seasons are hot, hotter, scorching, and monsoon!

Nikki

11. ET1 SS

Ouch!! what do Jap beetles eat?

I am not familiar with them.

12. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

We have Jap beetles they are the size of a dime shiny green and black....they devour leaves...leaving them to look like netting :shrug:

My parents in Lexington are hardly bothered by them but they do have a diff. beetle that I dont have here in China :shrug:

13. ET1 SS

Ooops, so we have them up here too? Oh no!!

So far I have cleared enough forest away to construct a driveway, and our home. Working on the house, to get it ready for next winter, has kept me from being able to do much with gardening so far.

I guess this is just something that I will have to battle once we do get into gardening in earnest.

14. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Zone 7 is IMO the ultimate area to reside. Four distinct seasons and none severe. Great growing season and can support quality crops and pastures. Land prices start at $800 per acre and go to the sky. Cheap land is there you just got to search it out. I am aware of a transaction last week where 48 acres of flat land with a year around flowing stream and 18 acres of planted pine (6 years old) sold for $43K. Property is within 15 miles of a large town and within 40 miles of a significant city.

15. wolfheart23

wolfheart23 Well-Known Member

Thank you all! I think it's great to get so many differing opinions on this subject! At least it helps to narrow down the search, instead of looking at every state. I would love to be able to visit every area that I am interested in, but that just isn't possible, so I will have to consider carefully and really narrow down the choices and then do some visiting.

16. LagoVistaFarm

LagoVistaFarm Well-Known Member

Agmantoo,

Where is your zone 7 of the world? I kinda like that climate myself.

17. LagoVistaFarm

While I have developed raw land in the past, the recent rise in construction materials seems to favor existing small farms and homesteads. I’m making the assumption that we aren’t going to harvest our own material.

Throughout the country are small farms with typical two story old farmhouses. They usually have some outbuildings and infrastructure. There are problems but IMO they may be a better value than most raw land.

These two story houses are difficult for older people to get up and down the stairs so they are moving into single story structures. I know this may not be a panacea to most but it might be a good way for folks starting out.

18. ET1 SS

May I ask why?

Do you mean like cutting down trees, with which to build your house?

Here my site-work contractor wanted to bulldozer trees into a dip and bury them. I argued and insisted that I am not going to bury any trees, they thought I was loony but since I was paying they did as I wanted. Since then talking to locals, everyone buries their trees, to clear off a flat spot on which to build.

I did the initial bulldozing myself, just for the driveway and those trees that I knocked down are still piled up. Until I am finished building the house, I will not likely be able to have the time to cut them up. Just small trees nothing over 60 foot, mostly 30 to 40 foot softwoods.

19. LagoVistaFarm

Yes, or building staw bale, etc. Its our personal decision since we have a business that requires a fair amount of time. We would rather concentrate spare time into farming. I do enjoy building but its not likely to be on this round.

20. ET1 SS

Cool.

I working milking goats in Upper Lake, near Ukiah and attended Mendocino Community college for a couple years. Where are you?