Looking for land...in NC

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by dnurkle, Oct 28, 2004.

1. dnurkle

dnurkle Member

Anyone know of a better place to start than with a Realtor?

Looking for 30-100 acres in lower Wilkes, upper Alexander or upper Iredell Counties.

Land to be used for a Homestead and Retreat Center - allowing families, couples, teens or individuals to get back to basics - slow and be still - rest and heal from the hustle and distractions of most of their lives.

We homesteaded in AL for 10 years and are now displaced without a home working in a Ministry.

Anyone have any suggestions on where we can look - we have 'burned up the roads' when we are in that area - but where we want to be isn't ON a ROAD - if you get what I mean.... ;)

Thanks!
    Blessings to you and your home!
    Donna

2. Tater'sPa

Tater'sPa Well-Known Member

Hey there Donna,
    Have you tried looking through Iwanna paper? they usually have quite a few listings.
    www.iwanna.com
    It is also available (hard copy) in convenient stores, grocery stores etc.
    I lived in West Iredell for many years, now living in Catawba County. I have seen alot of land in North Iredell for sale around Love Valley a few years back.

3. threydin9

threydin9 New Member

Check www.ncmountainland.net/ I see several properties listed in Wilkes County. May be more expensive than you had hoped :( but they are available.

4. Tater'sPa

Tater'sPa Well-Known Member

5. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Not exactly where you identified but look under land for sale at this site http://www.carolinaforestry.com/ . Unless you have deep pockets Iredell county is out. Acreage in Iredell, by the average appraised tax value. is in excess of $6000 per acre if it is useable. Wilkes is your better bet. Davie county slightly east, north-east of Iredell offeres some opportunity.

6. dnurkle

dnurkle Member

Oh thank you! I forgot about this!! Going on line NOW :D

Have you tried looking through Iwanna paper? they usually have quite a few listings.
    www.iwanna.com

7. dnurkle

dnurkle Member

Thanks - I'm looking and hoping!
    Donna

8. dnurkle

dnurkle Member

Thanks for the site!
    Donna

9. Wrangler

Wrangler New Member

10. uyk7

uyk7 Well-Known Member

I am not familiar with NC but we do have a nice property in NC on our website. Please visit www.homesteadhunter.com and see if the property meets your requirements. Thanks!

11. dnurkle

dnurkle Member

Thank you - I'll keep checking it.

12. blhmabbott

blhmabbott We're gettin' there!

13. POULTRYWAGON

POULTRYWAGON Active Member

Hey.....
    Just thought you might like to see some of these ads from the North Carolina Agricultural Review.....

80 ac native trout stream, market timber, horse farm, Christmas trees, $3,700/per ac. Randal Letterman, Green Mtn 828-682-3850.

26 ac Caswell co hunting, stream, some mature timber, $78,000. Nancy Goings, Winston-Salem 336-769-1798

38 ac Chatham co near Goldston, great hunting or farming, bounded on two sides by Indian Creek hardwoods along creek, flood plains, $39,900 nego, will trade for other property or boat. Molly Keppler, Chapel Hill 919-942-0028.

(That one seems awfully low....maybe a typo?)

53 ac Yadkin co, cleared & wooded, access to Yadkin River, 30 min to Winston Salem, $4,000/per ac. Van Shore, Jonesville 336-526-3437.

Here's a link to the classified pages of the Ag paper, just in case you'd like to look:
    http://www.ncagr.com/paffairs/class.htm

We live in Davidson county, north of Charlotte. When we bought our little piece of land, it was only about $1,000 an acre. It's gone up a lot in the last 12 years....

Hope this helps!

14. dnurkle

dnurkle Member

Thanks Heather! Kings Mnt is a bit far for us - but thank you!
    Donna

15. uyk7

uyk7 Well-Known Member

"Just curious, did you read the original post before rushing in to plug your rather amateurish website? He's looking for acreage -- plural. On your site (congrats you got another hit!) you are listing a 1/2 acre property."

I guess I missed the amount of land wanted. I do that sometimes. If you have any positive inputs on how to make the website even better please let us know. Since we are amateurs when it comes to building a website (we don't have $500+ to pay someone else to build it for us) we could use some insights from someone who has more experience. Thanks!