Looking for land and need it A.S.A.P.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by jrw422, Apr 27, 2005.

1. jrw422

jrw422 Well-Known Member

I am looking for folk who live in southeast Texas. Reason being I would like to talk face to face or phone to someone who is thinking what I am. I live just south of Houston TX in a town called Texas City.. Home of refinery and ship explosions! Anyway I am getting out of here and would like to do so by May of next year. I want to get 10-20 acres, or more is the price is right, somewhere in east Texas to live self-sufficient and get away from the rat race. Here is the problem; I have contacted 3 realtors in East Texas to look for the acreage above. Nothing yet and its been 4 months. It would be a big help if someone lived anywhere north of say Cleveland TX up to around the Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana boarder. Perhaps someone knows of land for sale up yonder. I want it to be as far away from town as can be had and would prefer it to be in the middle of the woods where access is by logging road. Lol Maybe someone has land that is going to do the same thing and needs help. I can build anything, fix most anything and have been stocking up on the necessities to live without power lines or other utilities. I have a friend with a well drilling machine so water is not a problem. I have the electricity and propane figured out so all I need is land. There will be 5 us at the moment who are “buggin out” as I call it. Maybe someone can give me links to local classifieds, or send me a green sheet or some other listing. Maybe you know a neighbor or a family who has too much to keep up with and would part with the back 40. lol So is there anyone out there that may be able to help with the land dilemma?

My description/request is what I consider prime for what I want and I know it will be a long shot to get. Any and all leads will be greatly accepted. Just a few trees and even electric,well, septic etc on the land is ok. I need to get out of the rat race asap before I go nuts..... well I won't do that as long as Jesus in on the throne!!!!

Thanks for any help you can give.

2. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member Supporter

My family lives in Groveton texas which is kind of in the Cleveland, corrigan, Lufkin area. Be careful of buying property that has a nice patch of 'woods' next door. Champion paper is big up there and one day you'll think you live next to a beautiful forest and the next day it's gone. Now I will say they do replant, but it takes years for it to get pretty again. So if you buy anything up there, make sure you are happy with the density of the forest on your own property.

I do know of a piece of a couple of pieces of property for sale up there, but they don't fit your requirements. If I hear of anything I'll let you know.

3. jrw422

jrw422 Well-Known Member

Around Groveton would be ok. Have a friend in Kennard and he is one who put me in touch with one of the realators. There is nothing around there so he says. I want remote but what is the property you are speaking of. PM me or email me so we dont make this a long drawn out thread if you could.
    Thanks a bunch for responding

4. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Have you tried doing google searches? Most realtors seem to post their offerings on line, now.

5. jrw422

jrw422 Well-Known Member

Yep but no luck. Just really expensive stuff around the lake for the Yuppies

6. xbeeman412

xbeeman412 Well-Known Member

My best advice would be to find someone that You work with that has family in the area that You like. The area papers (East Tx ones) offer a good source of places for sale. We brought our place in Stilwell Oklahoma after being told by one of the fellows I worked with that was from the area about an add in the paper there.

By the way I retired from Amoco Oil in TC a few years ago ... do You work there?

Another way to look is drive the area and look for for sale signs. Most of what is put online for sale I have found to be over priced. There is a nice lady on the forun here thet is from Jasper area that might be able to help You. Her name is Irene and she frequents the countryside families forum. Just go there and ask for her if she doesnt reply to this thread.

God Bless and the best of success in finding Your place in the woods.

7. OD

OD Well-Known Member

There is a lot of unimproved land for sale within 40 miles or so around my area. But as xbeeman412 said, most of it just has a For Sale sign on it & isn't listed with a realtor or even in the paper. Cass County has lots of "backwoodsey" land that's inhabited by "self sufficient" (I like that name) people.
    If you could take the time to drive up & stay a day or two & drive around in the country & look, you could probably find what you are looking for.

8. jrw422

jrw422 Well-Known Member

Hello Xbeeman..
    No I dont work there I am self employed in home repairs. Bet yer glad your out of Amoco. I am going to drive up round there this weekend to take a look see. I will see if I can contact Irene

Hi OD
    What is cass county close to and how far north are you?

Thanks a bunch for responding

9. OD

OD Well-Known Member

Cass County is right against the state line there where Ark. & La. meet. Linden is the county seat, & Atlanta is the biggest town.
    I live a couple of counties to the west, but the coal mine got most of the land around here, & what it didn't get is getting pretty crowded. So lots of the self-sufficient types around here are moving over there.

10. Irene texas

Irene texas Well-Known Member

I live in The Kirbyville area, They just sold a beautiful 10 acreas across the road from me, all fenced on a small paved country road. It sold for 3,500. a acre. Land is getting very scarce here, as we are fast becoming the bedroom community for Beaumont. I don't know if I can help, But would be willing to send you the listings in our country paper, PM me your address.

11. jrw422

jrw422 Well-Known Member

To anyone who might have info this weekend 4/30-5/1.
    My wife and I will be on the road in East Texas Saturday. We will be staying somewhere Saturday night, then head back home Sunday. If you have a tip or spot some land give me a call on my cell (if it has a signal). If you can't get me leave a message. Cell # is 409-939-0753.

Thanks again to all who have responded.