looking for kitchen cabinets

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by fransean, Dec 13, 2003.

1. fransean

fransean Well-Known Member

We recently bought a fixer upper and one thing I know for sure is that we will have to completely redo the kitchen. Even if I can salvage the existing cabinets it is not enough storage in there.

Anyone know of a good place to find kitchen cabinets that don't cost a fortune? I am open to unfinished or dented/outlets.

Thanks

Fransean

2. try a local cabinet installer- people upgrade to new cabinets all the time and you may find a good bunch for the hauling away......

3. ChuckinVA

ChuckinVA Well-Known Member

If you are near a major city that has habitat for humanity in the area there are sometmes Habitat "stores" where you can buy new and used cabinets, sinks, hardware, shower stalls, tubs, on and on. The proceeds benifit habitat and the low prices benefit you. I've been to a nice one in Roanoke, Va and they had everything from doors and hardware to wood flooring.

4. Jo73

Jo73 Active Member

Have you thought of the option of actually not having regular kitchen cabinets? You can buy (or recycle what you've got) countertop material by the foot, and build a frame out of 2x2 lumber or whatever you've got handy. That way you can put in the size of shelves you need for your storage requirements - slatted shelves for pots & pans, tiered shelves for canned goods, etc. A fabric 'curtain' across the front is much cheaper than (usually very badly made) cabinet doors, and can be thrown in the wash as often as necessary. When I re-did my kitchen, I ripped out half the cabinets and replaced them with a 'pantry cupboard' built this way.

Jo

5. diane greene

diane greene Well-Known Member

I like Jo73's ideas. Also consider using cupboards like in early America and Europe.
    A hoosier cabinet is a great way to go or make a corner of the kitchen into an enclosed pantry.

6. As the wife of an electrician, I can tell you that used cabinets are not all that hard to find. And there are certain "seasons" if you will, when they are very plentiful. People usually start to remodel around tax return time, continuing through the summer, then it hits "high" season in very early autumn, around September/early October (in order to be finished for the holidays and the children out of the way and back in school).

Sources:
    1. Watch your newspaper want ads. The deal I found last year was SOLID walnut cabinets, 18 linear feet of them, uppers and lowers for $450! (The lady decided she wanted a lighter look in the kitchen).

2. Call all the local remodelling contractors and let them know you're looking. Sadly cabinets are usually just ripped out and thrown away; however if the contractor has a buyer for them, they'll remove them carefully. You may or may not be able to negotiate being on-site with them -- depends on their insurance clauses. (And don't overlook talking to the cabinet people at places like Home Depot and Lowe's. They do a huge volume in kitchen remodelling.)

3. Consider placing an ad in the paper notifiying homeowners that you're looking.

4. The European look makes for wonderful photos; however you might consider doing what the Swedish and Italians do -- hang sheered curtains, especially on your lower cabinets to keep out the dust/dirt. Just a thought.
    Don't overlook, especially on your upper cabinets using old windows as door fronts. Can be very attractive. Avoid these on lower cabinets unless you've got tempered glass.

Happy remodeling.
    BW