Looking for Jersey in Ohio..or NY :)

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by rhainyne, Aug 12, 2006.

1. rhainyne

rhainyne Well-Known Member

Western NY 4 miles from the Lake Erie Shore
    My husband and I have decided that the time is right to ad a cow to our happy family. We're looking for a Jersey...preferably one milking if possible.
    We're willing to travel a reasonable distance...we're in Southern Ohio, about 2 hours due South of Columbus.
    We would also be interested in Jerseys in the areas near Rochester or Syracuse as my family is from that area and justifying the trip is quite easy!

Thanks!
    Jennifer

2. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Try going on line to The Farm & Dairy newspaper out of Ohio they had A bunch of milk cows listed this week. Also try looking around Barnesville there A school there that has A large jersey dairy. I think its A church school.

3. rhainyne

Just about all of what they had in the Farm and Dairy were Holsteins...that's just way too much cow and milk for us, not to mention we really want to have the high cream content of the Jersey. I will try to find the Barnesville dairy though!
    Thanks!

4. arabian knight

arabian knight Miniature Horse lover Supporter

I agree Jersey milk is so high in butter fat and sweeter too.
    Even the meat is sweeter and tastier then beef cattle. I raise a Jersey every 2 years to put in the freezer and the meat is just wonderful.
    But to drink that milk and such oh what a treat it is.
    I know there is some miniature Jersey breeders and some of those are around 38 inches. It would be neat to have one of that size for milking for the family and such.
    Here is a miniature cattle message board and I see there is a mini Jersey Heifer for sale in South eastern Mich. a Bit further then you wanted but here is the link to that board.

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/MiniatureCattle/

5. Tom McLaughlin

Tom McLaughlin Tom

Try the US Jersey breeder directory there maybe someone close.

6. Tom McLaughlin

Tom McLaughlin Tom

I guess they just call it Jersey Directory. It gives a state listing of farms with contact info. I used it to find one 35 miles away.

7. petefarms

petefarms Well-Known Member

I am located 90 miles north of syracuse, with jerseys for sale, probably contact me through my members web site if you're interested in traveling this far. pete farms

8. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

Shouldn't be hard to find a contact for the school farm in Barnesville...
    I just got back from milking the ladies there..... :p
    We are currently milking 45 head. Will be 46 this afternoon since 955 (Tabitha) was not with the other three dry cows due in the next two weeks. 815 (Nike) should drop her calf (calves, I'm thinking twins) within the next day or so.

It's Olney Friends School, a Quaker based boarding school, but no longer under the care of Ohio Yearly Meeting. Now run by FOO (Friends of Olney).

The Board has decided to sell the cow herd. They are ninnies and hopefully will change their mind. Don't get me started on it.

Normally, you would be hard pressed to get anything but a "cull" cow from there. Though the last cull cow I sold to a woman in Kansas in April of 2005, just delivered her second heifer calf for them and milked over 5 gallons a day last lactation. It's all in knowing the animals, which I do. Sara, now Belle, wouldn't take. She had long cycles and the AIing wasn't hitting her the right time. We brought her over here and she took first time to our herd bull. She took first time to the woman's bull as well last year.

There are some great girls at the school farm If you have patience and the money I could hook you up with a great girl.

It will be another month before anything will be sold though. I'm hoping they will wake up and realize that a dairy farm is the most economical choice the the farm. Most of the decent cows will be going into the Jersey October Sale, but there are some nice 3 teaters which can't go through the sale.

www.olneyfriends.org

How did you know about them/us, James?

9. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

I have several holsteins that are higher in BF than the Jersey we have. Had one test in June 4.5%BF, Jersey tested 3.8 or so.

Jeff

10. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

I was at the stueben county fair today and they had alot of jerseys there. A county fair is a good place to locate alot of farmers in one place.

11. rhainyne

Would there be any issue with the three teaters that I need to worry about?