Looking for Jersey Heifers

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by wardarden, Mar 25, 2006.

1. wardarden

wardarden Well-Known Member

Hey Guys,

This is my first time to post to this list. Usually I post to the Goat list and just love all the feedback I get from like minded folk.

My husband (what is DH? he says da.n husband :bouncy: ) really wants to find 2 Jersey heifers to add to our menagerie. I have always thought the Jersey's were a beautiful and kind looking breed. He is the one that knows everything about cows not me! I have my dairy does and am tickled with them. Anyway, we are looking for 2 Jersey heifers 200-300 lbs. and registered.

Thanks for any advice you may offer!

Arden & Eddie Ward

2. Jennifer Brewer

Jennifer Brewer Jennifer

have you found any heifers?
    i would like info on this also
    my husband and i would also like one or two. i suppose two would be better so they can keep each other company.

3. Happyfarmwife

Happyfarmwife Well-Known Member

I can't help you with finding Jersey heifers because we are looking too. We are in Oregon.

DH is supposed to stand for dear husband, or dd-dear daughter, ds-dear son, etc. Of course it is up to the person reading it as to what "D" word they say in their minds! LOL

4. francismilker

francismilker Udderly Happy! Supporter

The only place I've found to purchase a registered Jersey heifer is Woods Dairy in Gage, Oklahoma. I'm not even sure if they will sell any heifers now unless it's for a 4-H project.

5. Jennifer Brewer

Jennifer Brewer Jennifer

i don't need registered, don't even need pedigreed, doesn't even haveto be specificaly jersey, just dairy and tame

6. jim/se kansas

jim/se kansas Well-Known Member

Check out my web site in a few days. I have eight Jersey heifers, some will be bred next month. verdigrisvalleyfarm.com Prices range from 900.00 to 1600.00.
    I will be taking pictures this weekend and should have site going next week.
    Blessings, Jim

7. Jennifer Brewer

Jennifer Brewer Jennifer

Awesome! post a link as soon as you get it!

8. wardarden

We may have found one. A friend of ours that lives in east Tennessee called last night and told DH that he just went and looked at a 7 month old Jersey heifer for him that a man down the road has for sale. Wants $900. Does that sound like a fair price for a 7 month old??? She is not registered but the cow she is out of is purebred (not papered) Jersey and was AI to a registered Jersey bull. I am excited! The man says that the calf is being creep fed??? What is this? Husband says he does not like creep fed calves and we would not creep feed ours. Does anybody have opinions on that??

BTW for others in the area looking the local college here MTSU Middle Tennessee State Univ. is having a Jersey sale on the first Saturday in May so if we don't get this calf we will probably be going to the sale at college.

Have a great day!

Arden Ward

9. maude73529

maude73529 Active Member

10. mamagoose

mamagoose Well-Known Member

We paid $1000 recently for a bred and paper heifer, so $900 sounds ok. These Jersey girls are hard to find.

11. myersfarm

myersfarm Dariy Calf Raiser

12. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

"Dear Husband" but your DH's interpretation probably fits some of them better. :D

13. wardarden

We got her! She is beautiful! A 7 month old Jersey Heifer for $900 was the deal. She is purebred but not papered. I have a huge bruise on my right leg where we were trying to get a halter on her yesterday. I will be calling Vet today to see if he can dehorn her. Thought Jersey's were polled?? Any advice on taming a 7 month old calf is appreciated!! She will let us pet her but putting that halter on her was another story. Wish I knew how to post pictures to this page, I took some pics this weekend with my digital.

14. mamagoose

mamagoose Well-Known Member

The majority of Jerseys are horned. Polled is dominant, so you can AI to a polled bull and get a polled heifer (well, or bull). Polled Jerseys are generally smaller and offer less production, that's why they aren't popular for the industry, but great for a family cow.