Looking for Jersey Heifer

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Tango, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

I've been waiting three months for two Jersey heifers. The dairy I bought my Jersey from has had a bull calf year but I still expect to get a 3/4 Jersey in the next month form them. The other "nearby" dairy doesn't sell them until springers, which I can't afford at their prices ($1600 and up). The buyer I've hired has found only Jersey bull calves in three months. Would like to put up the announcement here that I am interested in buying a Jersey heifer or Jersey x Dairy heifer. I do not want a Jersey x beefer since my own cow may give me one shortly. If she doesn't then I might also accept a Jersey x beefer. The younger the better because I'm on a budget. No wild ones, unless they are very, very young. Registered is good but not mandatory. Bottle baby is perfect. Please pm me with what you have available, your location, and your price. I'm willing to haul her if the deal is the right one for all of us. Thanks :)

2. JElfering

JElfering Dairy Dreamer

I wish I could help. I have some for sale but I am way up North in NE WI. We are downsizing again for the winter. One is a milk cow and the other is a heifer 4 mo calf. Hope you find your jersey heifer.
    Jen
    Mom of ten

3. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Jen, thanks. I hope you find good homes. Wish mine was one of them :)

4. savinggrace

savinggrace COO of manure management

Tango, all I can say is have patience!

I have also been 'shopping' for a jersey or guernsey for about a year. I have seen a few, been to a few auctions, but because I want a family cow, which will be providing milk mainly for my children, I want one that is healthy and sane, and affordable. So an auction is a risky place for me to find one!

I found it was well worth my time to chat with the 4-H families at the local fairs, of course it is past fair season but you can still find some local 4-H clubs through your county Ag. extension agent; they might be selling or know of someone selling cows/heifers.

I am game for either a jersey or a guernsey, and at least through the national guernsey association I have been able to find really nice farms. Unfortunately, they don't have anything for sale at the moment.

And, a really great community on the web for homestead/family cows is http://www.real-food.com/
    It is a site done by an author of a must-have family cow book, and they also have a discussion forum.

Good luck!