Looking for homestead layout plans......

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Mountaineer, Dec 28, 2006.

1. Mountaineer

Mountaineer Well-Known Member

I have been working on a layout plan for my place. Currently everything I am doing here is 'mobile' and temporary as the land needs more clearing and quite a bit of work that will flatten any affixed objects. It's a blank slate.
    So I have a list of what I need (includes house/shop area, hayfield, orchard, poultry, pond, apiary, several pastures for rotation....etc etc. This is all on a 10 acre lot.
    I am having difficulty deciding on where exactly each area should be put (functionality is obvious) but I'd really like to look over some layout plans- for other ideas.
    Any book ideas??
    A mentioned in another post I found John Seymour's Self Sufficient Life and how to live it- to be really helpful in the case!

Thanks for any ideas here!

2. MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm Well-Known Member

Without knowing the layout of your land, it would be hard to recommend anything.

Some general ideas - don't put any buildings in low spots because of water runoff. Put orchards, vineyards & gardens in sunny areas.

Find which way the wind prevails and put the house up wind from the livestock.

make sure livestock pastures are situated where livestock can take shelter from wind. i.e. most of our wind comes out of the SW. Our pastures are on the N & E side of the barn and machine shed.

Apiary is on the E side of the machine shed where it can get first sun and protected from the winds

3. .netDude

.netDude Well-Known Member

Check out 'Introduction to Permaculture' by Bill Mollison. It's all about what you are trying to do, and it's a fairly quick read. Check your library. Don't confuse this with his Permaculture Designers Manual. (that got great reviews on Amazon also, but it's not such a quick read...)

4. Silvercreek Farmer

Silvercreek Farmer Living the dream. Supporter

You might want to run a search on previous posts, I think there is a great deal on the subject...

5. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

6. ldc

ldc Well-Known Member Supporter

5 Acres and Independence by M.K. Gains (old classic book) has some great lay-outs. It's in most librairies. ldc

7. Mountaineer

Mountaineer Well-Known Member

All the previous posts dissapeared- luckily I bookmarked some of the links. Thanks!

8. wilderness1989

wilderness1989 Well-Known Member

These are both good books and worth the read. They are both available for a reasonable price on Amazon.com or try your local library.
    The Owner-Built Homestead by Ken and Barbara Kern
    The Owner-Built Home by Ken Kern

9. thedonkeyman

thedonkeyman Well-Known Member

Its allways ,"if I had to do it again". AS we are living on a hill side I was not thinking, or should have been thinking about the HEAT factor for the cabin more. Next time we will build a several STEP structure. First the basement then the living area then a green house..to one side, same level as the living area. The thing is the HEAT from the basement will go UP to all above. We still have a choice here as we have some side hill left behind the house for a green house up there, and our stove is behind the house, which would be below the green house. We also have a water source, as it rains here to assist in powering the wind mill which turns a small fan to force heat under the house. IF you were lucky to have a South face to build on, the hill would provide protection from the wind..depending where you lived ? Save all low flat land for pasture and fruit trees etc. Where you put a structure has alot to do with water sources, wind, Sun and entry to property. Drain fields and their effect on water sources, better to leach to pastures. Build your work shop first, tool room and covered drive threw work area with stove.

10. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Yes, both are good books.

The Have-More Plan (the top link) is also found over at mother earth news archives.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/article-archive/1970

Starting at issue #2.