looking for homestead in New England

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Unregistered-1427815803, Feb 5, 2004.

1. We are looking for a homestead in Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire or New York.
    Thanks

2. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

Guest, I think that if you give us more info on what you'd like to own, we'd be better able to help. Do you need a certain # of acres, bedrooms, outbuildings, etc.? Must it be owner-financed? Near a city so you can commute to a job?

3. mom2cullen

mom2cullen New Member

10 acres or more would be great, :D 3 bedrooms, a horse barn (which we could build if there wasn't one) and maybe another for goats chickens etc.It would not need to be owner financed. My husband would be willing to travel an hour or so to get to work but closer would be better. We have about 45,000 to work with and our goal is Debt Free! :)
    Thanks

4. washington county Maine is pretty cheap and on the coast but as always jobs, jobs jobs. Gotta go to Ellsworth area (for work) within an hour nice area. People are nice you won't get "burnt out" up there as someone mentioned on another post, just leave city attitudes behind, things move rather slow! Plenty of options for work though you can always go north to presque isle aswell. Always wanted to open a B&B near Bar harbor ( which Ellsworth is near ) Very busy place in season lots of tourist dollars.

5. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

The Bangor area is affordable, with more jobs than downeast. Northern Maine is extremely affordable, with lots of acreage and homes for sale, but you're basically limited to hospital work, teaching, and other jobs like thatnot much manufacturing. There are a couple of towns up there that desperately need lawyers, but I don't know what your husband does for work.

6. What fields are you and DH skilled/schooled in? Practical fields seem to be the only thing available here in Maine. As stated healthcare is the big one, social workers LCSW, teaching. All the jobs that force you to burden social issues.....Southern Maine is pricey but good jobs, Bangor is also a good area. Costal would be seasonal mostly.

Our place will be for sale in the next year or two but not sure what you would be looking at. We have a barn that would house a horse or two...right now has 7 goats....6 acres and a very plain but comfortable cheap to heat 4bdrm. 10 miles to Waterville....20miles to Augusta.....40milesto Bangor ...and 30 miles to Belfast. There is a garden spot and other buildings (woodshed etc) and the house is well off the road with woods behind. The pasture is a goat pasture but our lawn is 2 acres and could be fenced for better grass feed.

7. LizinNH

LizinNH Well-Known Member

I found this in Uncle henry's advertiser. It might be more $ than you are willing to spend but...
    Cherryfield ME, late 1800's remodeled farmhouse, 2br, wood floors, passive solar, sunroom, full basement, wood cook stove, 15 ac. 3-4 ac. fields, lg. pond, 24' x 40' barn, chicken coop, shed, in law apt, lg garden area, fruiit trees, sm. fruits,perrenials, 10 min to ocean, quiet side rd. 30 min to ellsworth, 25 min to machias, 60 min to bangor, $139,900 .
    If you are interested email me and I'll give you the phone number. I don't want to put it here, and have them pitch a fit over it.
    Liz in NH

8. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

Check out Pressconnects.com, it's the Binghamton paper, here in Broome Co., NY.

9. mom2cullen

mom2cullen New Member

Thanks everyone. We had the chance last year to move to Washinton County Maine. Jonesport I think was the town. My husbans job would have moved us but the prices weren't any better there than here. I also homeschool and couldn't get connected with others there. Out of 4 women that I did meet only one was still living there, in Cherryfield and she was not happy. She said people we not friendly. The other 3 I spoke with on the phone all had a similar experience. I am not sure how accurate they were but know they all felt isolated. I really like the Bangor area but the job wasn't in that area. We have also looked into the South Paris area and like it there but again prices are similar to here. Our goal is debt free.
    Another place mentioned we checked out was Broome county in NY and we absolutly loved it there. Again a job trasnfer but at the last minute another employee put in for a "hardship transfer" and so they got the job. It seems they lived in Alabama and his wife was sick and she had family in the area. :waa: I would have to say Broome county and Brownfield Maine are my favorites. We have friends in Greene NY and what beautiful country but her husband is really having trouble finding work. In fact he is back in Mass. right now for 3 months at his old job working.
    My husband works for Xerox servinging copiers. He used to be an EMT and would love to be a paramedic, which he is mors suited for than what he is doing now. But unfortunatly it requires full time school and like I said I homeschool our kids. Well thanks for reading and if anyone has any more suggestions I am open.

10. shibuko

shibuko Guest

we just bought us a farm in northern Miane,not far from Houlton.. about two years ago there were lots of farmstaed for sale with about 10 acres , a house and some with barns..Not sure about work in that area. seems to be limited. although i plan to find out as we are moving back thsi spring

11. I currently live in Washington County, Machias, Maine. If you'd like to discuss the area please feel free to email me. mattbau43@hotmail.com