Looking for Heritage Feeders

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by FrogPond, Mar 9, 2005.

1. FrogPond

FrogPond Entremanure

I am located in SE Ohio and I would love to find a few (two or three) feeder pigs that are of a heritage breed. Everyone seems to want to sell them as registered stock at high prices... if you have plain old feeder piglets, drop me a note! Looking for GOS, Blacks, Tams... but open to suggestions. Thanks!

2. Mike in Pa

Mike in Pa Well-Known Member

What do you consider high? Yorks, Bluebutts (cross), Duroc, Hamp. I can get them for 1.25/lb now. Possibly down to 1.00/lb in a couple months.

3. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

GOS piglets are going for $250 a head, or so I'm being told.

4. luvrulz

luvrulz Well-Known Member Supporter

I am an hour and a half south of Louisville, KY and in November, we paid $40 each for feeder piglets....I think they weighed about 10 - 15 pounds apiece. Pretty common to find them in that price range....

They're about 200 plus now....doesn't take em long!

5. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Have you thought about buying a gilt and using A I and breed her to a heritage breed???then you could keep the best gilt and start the process alover till you have what you want,And you can still sell the rest to recoup part of your money

6. FrogPond

FrogPond Entremanure

James, that is a good idea but the pigs I get this spring will be just for meat. I think I am going to skip the idea of heritage pigs for butcher and just get some local $50 feeders. This fall I plan on buying breeding stock of GOS pigs... I just don't have the facilities in place for them right now!