Looking for good boooks.. advice wanted

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by famer_manda, Aug 25, 2006.

1. famer_manda

famer_manda I Love CHICKENS!

I wanted to look up some good homesteading, mini farm type books on ebay but i dont know where to start. Any suggestions on good books? Something focusing maybe on the way to be most efficent with land and how to rotate animals..etc

when i move i wont have the internet back right away so i need some good books to help me :)

2. WildernesFamily

WildernesFamily Milk Maid

Definitely The Self Sufficient Life And How To Live It !!!!!

Excellent book, gives ideas for how to manage a 1 and a 5 acre farm, also some urban vegetable gardening ideas. Animal suggestions, crop suggestions, rotation, beautiful pictures, beautifully done! We got this at the library, and it will be the first Homesteading book we buy when we can.

3. famer_manda

ahh thats the book i had just found and im wowed by it lol.. Definately on my list! Thank ufor the suggestion!

4. famer_manda

I see he has a newer one called

New Complete Self-Sufficiency : The Classic Guide for Realists and Dreamers

Is it any better than the first?

5. WildernesFamily

No, both books are the same, with a few words changed in the foreward, different cover, but same content, so don't buy both! :)

6. famer_manda

Well the one with the red barn has a better attractive cover and its a few dollars cheaper on amazon.com

*adds to cart*

7. oldnndway

oldnndway Member

8. WildernesFamily

LOL!

I'll look up some of the other ones tomorrow that we really like and list those for you too :)

9. a1cowmilker

a1cowmilker Well-Known Member

I mentioned this a while back, but I want to say it again. The book is called
    _A Very Small Farm_ written by William Paul Winchester.

I got it at the library and loved it. It is basically a journal of one man's life on a very small farm in Oklahoma.

I loved it. It's an entertaining informative good read.

10. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

ANY! Of the old textbooks by Ensminger. The older they are, the better they are. I have an 80 year old book that talks about how farmers "hog off" crops to avoid the labor of harvesting them, and making hay out of peas, and good sample field rotations, and so forth.

11. famer_manda

I ended up getting the big pretty red barn covered book from John Seymour so far. I do believe I had borrowed it from the library once myself. There is a book on my mind but i dont know its name. I saw it at TSC and it was brown and it was thick.. anyone know what book it was? retailed around 26 dollars.

12. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

If you 're feeling rich the Backwoods Home anthology is well worth the money!
    Or ask for it for Christmas :shrug:

13. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

I love m.g kains 5 acres and independence and bolton halls 10 acres and liberty old but timeless the both of them. Also I have a book think it is gardening for profit 1888 another old but timeless one with lots of good cold season gardening info and only $8 or so at www.alibris.com last I checked.
    Then there is Carla emory's encyclopedia and here is one I am buying now thru HT I may be willing to sell you after I read it for my cost if you want.

quote)Husbandry by Nathan Griffin
    The Sure, Cheap Way to Plenty & Prosperity In the Country

Learn How To:

1. Get good land, for little or no money;

2. Live well on it through part-time effort;

3. Avoid money woes, social unrest, most kinds of crime, plus most natural & man-made disasters.

4. Do these things with or without a job, and without dependence on debt, gimmicks, drugs, fancy technology or outside help.

In short: Good living, not mere "survival" or "doing without!"

For more info about this book visit:
    http://www.cobblemead.com/husbandry.htm

Used, Very Good Condition $14.00 Free media mail shipping in continental US.
    quote)
    I also like the backwoods home and countryside and the books online at www.soilandhealth.org are priceless. I enjoy John seymours books as well as a new market gardening book I have cant remember the name I will get back to you.

14. Deb862

Deb862 Well-Known Member

I agree with the above. I just ordered and received "The Self Sufficient Life and How to Live it" and Carla Emery's "Encyclopedia of Country LIving."

IMHO, both are absolute reads. Great books!

15. Helena

Helena Well-Known Member

My all time favorite..Country Women ..A Handbookf for the New Farmer..by Jeanne Tetrault..Good homesteading book written on a women's point of view.. Out of print now but can get on line or at the library for sure..Not to confuse it with the now on the racks..Country Women magazine..Also..any of the the Helen and Scott Nearing books..The back-to-the-landers of the the early days..and of course the "old" Mother Earth Magazines..just hunt and read anything you find. Don't forget to stop and talk to any "old" country people you might meet around the town or local flea markets..They have a wealth of knowledge and sad to say..there aren't many of them around any more. Have fun..and Good Luck !1

16. DenverGirlie

DenverGirlie Well-Known Member

I can't remember the name of this book either, but I do know I looked at it at the bookstore and checked it out from the libary as well. Long story short we went with John Seymours book. The content was very similaur but the book by John Seymour was a much better lay out and much more reader friendly. That brown book was also a strange size, oversized but with a soft cover that I was scared wouldn't hold up as well as the hard cover of John Seymours book.

We had also checked out "Country life : a handbook for realists and dreamers
    Author Heiney, Paul.
    Edition 1st American ed.
    Publisher New York : DK Pub., 1998.

It was very similar to John Seymours book, both in content and lay out. Reader friendly. However, we already had Seymours book so didn't make the purchase of this book in the long run.

17. .netDude

.netDude Well-Known Member

Anything by Gene Logsdon, I liked these:
    Homesteading
    Small Scale Grain raising
    Contrary Farmer
    Contrary Farmer's Invitation to Gardening
    All Flesh is Grass

18. harrisjnet

harrisjnet Okie with Attitude

I suggest you make a trip to your local library. You can browse the books and decide what you may want to purchase online.

19. famer_manda

Thank yo uDenver GIrlie. Yes it sounds like the same book. Soft cover. The one I got from John Seymour is a hard cover and that definately will be a good thing in the long run. As much as I am going to flip through pages and drool- it needs to be tough lol

20. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

Good advice but like she said move fast as they are dropping like flies and are not being replaced.