looking for goats

Discussion in 'Goats' started by to live free, Jan 21, 2005.

1. to live free

to live free Well-Known Member

i'm looking for goats, particularly saanens and alpines what should i look at for costs and what is a good rule of thumb for grazing, like half an acre per goat or somthing. any help would be great thanks

2. billooo2

billooo2 Well-Known Member Supporter

The number of goats/acre depends on the quality of the pasture. Especially, if they are milking, they need quality feed. Poor pasture can be supplemented with good hay.
    There is a great source of Alpines in Maine. Robert Cassette has been in Alpines for years. One or two of his sons is also involved. Their herd name is Chateau Briant, and they do have a web site.
    In my opinion. spring is the best time to buy dairy goats. Breeders who show usually keep only a certain number of goats. When all the does freshen, they evaluate the does, keep only the best, and sell the rest. It is a good time to pick up milkers. I do not know about the prices that Cassette's charge for these milkers, but usually you can pick up these milkers, at that time for $200-250. Of course, if you want a show quality doe, you should expect to pay more.

3. motdaugrnds

motdaugrnds II Corinthians 5:7 Supporter

I agree. Bob has a quality herd of both Alpines and Nubians. I picked up my herd buck (Nubian AI by Smooth Operator) there at the Chateau Briant and have been quite satisfied with his productions. Bob is a fair man when it comes to prices.

4. MimmyJ

MimmyJ Member

And I purchased a buck that was sired by Chateau Briant's So-Gay Roman, from motdaugrnds about 3 years ago and he was a magnificent animal that threw really nice looking kids. Lots of milk there!

Hello mot!!! :)