Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
1 acre homesteaders
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to buy fence to close in our little homestead. I only have chickens now, and want to keep animals out of the gardens. I am going to get probably a PVC coated welded wire, 4' tall. Where is the best place to deal with, for the best price? Shipping would need to be included in the assessment, unless I can find a local outlet. Maine is not known for it's fencing suppliers, so I probably cannot pick it up, so shipping may be costly as this stuff is heavy. Thanks for any info you all can provide.

mark

·
keep it simple and honest
3,809 Posts
When I needed 2 X 4 welded wire fencing, I asked my local hardware store how much it would be for several rolls. They gave me a price that was equivalent to TSC. The local store is only 3 miles from me, and TSC is over 30. I had to make 3 trips to pick it up (wouldn't all fit in my small pickup in one shot) so the closer store was a lot cheaper when mileage was figured in.
Ann

·
Registered
258 Posts
Register With Tractor Supply Co. Online As They Send Out Coupons In The Mail.

Last Fall Got A Roll Of 330 Ft Field Wire For $115.00 After 10 Percent Discount Coupon.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
floramum's post illustrates the correct question: Rather that WHERE is the best price, you should ask WHEN is the best price.

Fall is really great for fencing prices to be on sale. Next best is spring. That's when the vast majority of fencinge gets done, fall and then spring.

·
Registered
688 Posts
floramum said:
Register With Tractor Supply Co. Online As They Send Out Coupons In The Mail.

Last Fall Got A Roll Of 330 Ft Field Wire For $115.00 After 10 Percent Discount Coupon.
Sheep and goat fence runs $230 here for a 330 roll... man, I wish it was $115!!!

·
Premium Member
3,891 Posts
MWG said:
Sheep and goat fence runs $230 here for a 330 roll... man, I wish it was $115!!!
I got a roll of the lower priced Red Brand woven wire, 330', but the squares are much larger, and I could not pull it tight, so everybody climbs over! I'm in the process of adding a strand of hotwire.

·
Banned
6,787 Posts
Good point HTD what kind of fence is as important as where and when.

B

·
0 Posts
I'm looking for fencing too..just priced the local Lowe's for 48"X50' woven wire rolls..they're $29.86/roll. That's non-coated fencing..the greenish vinyl-covered rolls ( same size) were $32+/per roll. Waiting here until it all goes on sale. :) I've got 2+ acres to fence in.

·
Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....?
78,598 Posts
Most any hardware store can order fencing for you. The 330' rolls are the best deal.

Part of the reason for different prcies is it comes in many different heights and weights, as well as spacing.

Make sure youre comparing the same product when you compare pricing

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Field fence works just fine for me. I can't see the added expense of "goat wire" or panels. You put your corners in well, and you use a come-along hooked to a tractor or pickup truck trailer ball and you stretch it tight til you can pluck it like a guitar string. Then nail it in, clip it on, and clip off the ends with enough hanging to wrap around the coner post.

Take out all the support wires on the "excess wire" at the corners, and wrap it around the post tight, and wrap it around itself, so it encircles the post. Put 2 nails in each middle wire at the corners and 3 at the top and bottom.

If you do it this way and you have your corners set tight in the ground, it'll be there 20 years before it loosens. I have some I did 17 years ago; still tight. Keeps the goats in.

The difference between the chain store and the hardware store here on a roll of Red field fence 1047 is $20. That adds up over a mile.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Mark & Lesley - You could save some of your hard earned cash by fencing the perimeter of your properties with high-tensile (elec or not) and using the welded wire around the garden(s).

Lesley, for [email protected] difference, you should consider the coated fence.

·
1 acre homesteaders
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got a call and visit by the town today. Public works said I needed to be 33' from the center line of the road with my electric portable fence, cause it could be in the way for plowing. My explanation that it would be gone in a month(will be butchering the ones in the fence) didn't help. I was told to move it, and neighbors complained about the smell. I have less than 100 chickens right now on 1 acre. You can't smell anything, I asked a few unbiased folks, and they didn't notice any smell. My birds are on open grass, with 80+ sq ft per bird, can't imagine the issue. Code enforcement officer also wanted to know if my kids ran around in bare feet, was concerned for their health with all the chickens around. I politely told him to mind his business, code enforcement, and leave me alone. What nerve he has!!!
I will be putting up new fence at just over 33' from the center line, making it as ugly as possible, I am a little grumpy about this situation. The rant could go on, but sufficed to say I had my first run in with the law, and the pompous jerk that I talked to is not going to be on my good side. Guess I will be fencing sooner than I thought.

mark

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
A hundred chickens on an acre of grass doesn't make a noticeable smell... What'd you do to tick off that neighbor? LOL

Mark, I'd check the regs on the fencing issue - it may refer to PERMANENT fences. Excavators and utility crews routinely use temporary fence around roadways. If there is an exemption for temporary fences used for public safety, just paint your fence orange and tell 'em it's to keep people from being harmed by your man-eating birds...

·
1 acre homesteaders
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The neighbor is about 40 feet away, both houses are near the property lines. He likes to play music so loud that my walls rumble til 2 am at times. I walk over sometimes when I have had enough and ask politely that he turn it down so I can sleep. I try not to be offensive, but something about me(6'5", 285#, and former bodyguard) that seems to make people nervous when I talk to them in a firm tone. He would wait til I got out of the driveway and back home and turn it back up so the bass would kick my heart off rhythm, lol.
I did finally call the sheriff to ask him politely to turn the noise down, and the cop agreed that it was rather excessive. So, this is probably his way of getting back at me. Whatever, I moved the fence(took 5 minutes) and he can kiss my hairy toucas. My fence already IS orange, does not cause drainage problems(duh) and will not be up at plowing time. The birds will be dead in less than a month and I won't need it up. I will be constructing the most hideous fence I can come up with on HIS property line, with allowable setbacks, and shovel all the manure I can on the property line(no laws against shoveling poop, are there?)
I won't actually do these things, but I will try to be nice, not stink up the neighborhood, but I will keep my birds and my way of life, and if the town doesn't like it, they can bite me.

mark

1 - 15 of 15 Posts