Looking for feeder pigs in Virginia

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by ihedrick, May 15, 2005.

1. ihedrick

ihedrick Can't stop thinkin'

My son raised two pigs for 4-H project, but now we want to get a few more for ourselves. The source for 4-H does not have any more piglets. Anyone have suggestion or have piglets for sale? We live in northern Virginia.

2. PACrofter

PACrofter Well-Known Member

There's a guy near Damascus, MD who raises pigs for the 4-H market (or used to, anyway). I think his name is Lechlider (Lechilder?) but I don't have an address or phone number. Hope this helps.

3. QueenB04

QueenB04 Well-Known Member

ihedrick,

Hi. We live in central VA and are expecting our pig to farrow in the next several weeks, they will be cross bred, Hampshire sow, to my HampshireX boar. He either has Duroc or Tamworth in him, we're not sure. We're not 100% sure she is pregnant but due to her expanding belly, recent behavior and that she has not cycled in almost 7 weeks we're fairly certain she is. She has started to 'nest' alot recently. If you're interested let me know. I will say this will be their first litter, so I can't offer you any specifics on how the litter will turn out. We're hoping we'll get some wonderfuly good quality meats from this breeding. My boar is very lean, and very well conformed. Their momma to be is a 'chuffy' type pig, large with alot of fat on her. So we're hoping between the two we'll get nice hams, chops, loins and good quality bacon. Feel free to PM me if you're interested.

4. beeman97

beeman97 Well-Known Member

Ihedrick,
    We have 2 Tamorth's ready to go now & will have several Berkshire/ Duroc X's ready to go in about 4 more weeks
    I am located south of you in N.C. right on the Va border, near South Boston.
    let me know if your interested.
    Rick

5. Faith Farm

Faith Farm Well-Known Member

Hi ihedrick,
    The first week in June a neighbor friend will have a number of
    pigglets weined Duroc, Hampshires. By July a few more. I don't
    know how many he will part with but I can ask if you desire.
    We live in Green Bay, Virginia 1/2 way between Richmond and Lynchburg
    off Route 360 and a 1/2 hour South of Farmville. He attends the
    Farmers Market in Richmond on Saturdays.
    I bought four which will be in a pasture/ woods hot wired paddock
    when I bring them to the farm in June. Let me know if this helps.