looking for dwelling suggestions

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Immaculate Sublimity, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Immaculate Sublimity

Immaculate Sublimity Seriously?

Ok, Its Done...bought my little corner of paradise...or h*ll not positive which yet. heres the Story...been looking for a place to call our own for quite some time, took to looking at bank forclosed properties on the net in My area, and ran across an interesting parcel, so I called on it, and the listing agent had a rather peculiar story about this property to tell me. it seems that the guy who originally bought the property took out a morgtage to cover moving his double wide manufactured home on to the property as well as the improvements necessary to live there (basement, well, engineered septic, small barn/shed type dealy and an addition- no clue about the purpose of that) it seems that the guy tried putting in the basement and ran into water...lots of it so the cement guys told him no go on the basement and put in a crawl instead..but the guy never let the bank know this...so he puts in the crawl as well as the well and septic, and proceeds to move his house on to the foundation. all is well and good, until the bank appraiser shows up...and asks to see the basement...he says 'aint got one' and the bank appraiser says well the money was lent to you for one , you need to return the balance of the funds..well the guys a partier, and drank up the excess funds...so the bank begins forclosure proceedings...assuming the guy had done what he promised and dissolved the manufactured home title into the property...well...he didnt, and as the bank was forclosing on the property...he sold the house itself to a dealer...who came out and chopped it right off the addition and yanked it off the foundation. bank gets the cops involved because the dealer is stealing their property, dealer says nope I got clean title on the trailer...and proceeds to haul it away...leaving the bank holding the property and improvements minus a house. long story short..i got the property with the improvements for a little under 16 grand ( which is good since the well and septic would have cost at least 10k plus theres about 6k worth of work into the foundation and addition with brand new water softener) so now I'm looking for a way to get a dwelling on this property...keeping in mind that we are not master builders...i was hoping for some input, I've looked at reposessed manufactured houses...which would include everything finished inside for about 25k ...but have read several threads where people dont think thats such a great idea. I need to stay under 52k for the entire project including the land purchase the foundation to cover is 28x66 with a 12x12 addition going off the right front corner. even with the front wall.
    septic is directly behind the foundation in the middle and well is same place in the front there are 3 beams spaced evenly running from front to back ( i would assume to support the manufactured home that was there before) but My understanding is that 16 feet between them is not enough for another manufactured home, that i would need to add a beam between each one (4 more beams) at a cost of about 1300 dollars...so there You all have it...ideas, input, help? I live in michigan and would like to move as soon as possible. thanks in advance
    Diana

2. Scomber

Scomber Well-Known Member

1) If there was that much water in the cellar hole, does the septic system actually work?

2) How much house do you need? Could you put in two beams and use half the foundation to build a small house on? Maybe with the option of putting more house on the rest of the foundation as finances allow?

Dan

3. Immaculate Sublimity

Immaculate Sublimity Seriously?

the septic is an engineered field 2 ft above ground...a mound system of sorts...and the foundation hole is 4 ft deep and considered a liability until its covered the county wants a house covering it. we have 3 kids so need at least 3 bedrooms.

4. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

I'm with Dan. Use the excess foundation as Patio (covered if you have enough now for the larger roof). You could use it as a green house in winter (I'm thinking "with Jacuzzi" here...raise rabbits to help heat it!) by wrapping it in plastic and as a patio in the summer without the plastic. Depends on how windy it is there...you may have to have vinyl panels instead and replace with screen panels in the summer. It wouldn't cost as much to just enclose it later when you have more funds if you get the whole thing roofed now. Congratulations: you got a good deal!

5. Fonzie

Fonzie Well-Known Member

deleted by Fonz