looking for dual sires...

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by arcticow, Nov 29, 2006.

1. arcticow

arcticow Well-Known Member

Does anyone out there know of actual milking herds of Red Poll, Tarentaise,or Simmental cattle? Even individuals in a milking herd? Are there any real dual sires besides the Milking Shorthorns? :help:

2. caseyweiss

caseyweiss Well-Known Member

My neighbor has about 40 head of purebred reg. Red Polls which used to be milked. They haven't milked in over 20 years. Good looking cattle though.

3. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

ArcticCow a couple breeds you may wish to learn more about:
    The French Normande
    www.normandegenetics.com

The American Milking Devon
    www.milkingdevons.com

I can vouch for the Normande's ability to take cold, carry flesh easily, and produce high quality cheese milk.
    I can't tell you a thing about the milking Devons. :rolleyes:

4. Rick Allen

Rick Allen Well-Known Member

We have a Milking Devon and she is a heavy short legged cow. I guess her weight to be aprox 1150-1200. I think she'd do well in a cold climate. What I like about Devon's and Normande's is that, with the exception of their udders, thay look like beef cows. Their shoulders and hips are rounded and muscular and you can't see the bones sticking out like you can on American dairy breeds.

The Devon is a fine boned and muscular and looks every bit as good a beef cow as an Angus or Hereford. Milk production is not as good as the dairy breeds but she'll give you a gallon or two for most of her lactation.

Normande are a much better milk breed but probably not as good for beef as a Devon. I saw on the Normande Genetics web page and it states that some produce as much as 20,000 lbs over a lactation. This is as about good as any dairy breed but the Normande is heavier on cream and protien then most of the large volume dairy breeds.

Because we want more milk then or Devon puts out we plan to cross her with a Normande and hope to split the difference. Probably this will give us a milk producer like a milking shorthorn but she should be a better beef cow.

Another option for you is to buy a culled holstein cow from a dairy herd and breed her to a Hereford. If you're willing to wait a few years for the calf to mature you'd end up with a good natured duel purpose cow at very little cost.

5. Sher

Sher Well-Known Member

Dexters are dual purpose. We are on he beef side of things..some are on the milking side of things. Our heifers have been bought to go into the milking end of things.

If you go to www.dextercattle.org there will be quite a bit of info there on uses for Dexters.

6. linn

linn Well-Known Member Supporter

Why don't you use a shorthorn sire? Most beef shorthorns are fairly good milkers, (milking shorthorns are even better), and you get a beefier calf.