Looking for does in PA

Discussion in 'Goats' started by tioga12, Jun 29, 2006.

1. tioga12

tioga12 Well-Known Member

Hi, I am new to this forum so this is my first post. I have been asking around in an effort to locate some doeling kids. I guess it is too late in the season because there seem to be only bucklings left! I am primarily interested in dairy goats and don't have a lot to spend, so I will probably have to start out with a couple of kids rather than a freshened doe. I am just wondering if anyone knows of anything available for a reasonable price ($75. a piece, maybe?) in northcentral PA/ southcentral NY area. My choice would be for Alpine, Saanen, Toggenburg, or Oberhaslis.

2. GoatLove

GoatLove Well-Known Member

I know a goat farmer located in Linesboro, PA. He has so many different kinds of goats there. He had Pygmy's, Toggenberg's and Nubians. I bought Ricky (Pygmy) from him. PM me if you want his name and phone number.

3. Key

Key Well-Known Member

I have two Alpines... "Butterscotch" and "Penelope" for sale. We are located in central Perry County. They are still young (2 and 3), but both had a single kid last kidding season. See www.geocities.com/lilshakyfarms for a picture. They are shy, so they would have to be trained to be milked. They are mother/daughter. "Butterscotch" previously was used in a nativity scene. No CL, CAE, or sore mouth in our herd. They have been with our Boer buck since their kids were weaned months ago. Both kidded with no problems. Both are polled and one of them had polled offspring this year. We are concentrating on our Boers, so we are selling off these two ladies.
    We have extra Barred Rock roosters to throw in if you are interested. Save me the trouble.....please! ;)

4. tioga12

What does polled mean? I am new to goats.
    (NO THANKS on those roosters-we just finished eating ours :)

5. GoatLove

It means born with no horns. Those are the best kind! I have 2 Lamancha/Nubian wethers and I pygmy wether. They are all boys that cannot reproduce. You know, you may want to consider getting a few pygmy does-they are excellent producers of milk and so much easier to handle than the big goats! Believe me, I know!

6. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

Northwestern PA...I don't have any for sale, but I know where to find some up my way. What breed?

Ruth

7. tioga12

First choices would be Saanen or Alpine. I don't want to have to travel more than an hour or so to see them, tho.
    Thanks

8. GoatLove

Tioga, go to Goatweb.com and ask if anyone on there has goats available in your area.

9. Helena

Helena Well-Known Member

I'm in the same area as you are !! Welcome !! I really only have bucks for sale also and we have mostly Nubians. There use to be an animal auction in Athens, PA..near Waverly/Sayre area but they have closed and I really doubt if they will re-open any time soon. But if you continue past that auction towards Towanda..there is a farm that has goats..don't know what or who...just saw them a couple months ago out in the fields.There is also the Bath, NY auction on Thursdays. I have never bought animals from an auction. You never really know what you are buying or getting into health ways. There is a women in Wellsboro, PA that was very involved in dairy goat farm...a few years back. If you were to call the cooperative extension and ask for Craig he might remember who she was. He is also in 4-H..so that is another lead too. In August the Tioga County Fair will be held in Whitneyville..Rt 6 towards Wellsboro..and there are always goats there to show and people to ask. There are a couple of people in your area but don't think they will have the breeds you are looking for. Right in the town of Tioga..if you make a right turn onto the street that has the sign for the Animal Game Land Hunting Reserve place..(hope you know what I mean)...people up there had a good amount of Sanaan goats about 5 years back. You could see them from the road. If you ask anyone they might know who this is...nice man..just can't remember who he was !! Ask around or post signs at the feed stores and super markets in our area. Also..there is a large dairy farm in NY state..could find out where if you are interested in paying a couple hundred maybe for a nice milking Sanaan. Friends of ours went up there a few years back and bought a great milking doe...she sometimes comes and stays with us while her owners are away and we milk her while she is with our girls. I'll ask around for you and see who has what in our area. If you take a ride up towards Addison, NY..go north route 15..there is an Agway in that town. Amish families live in that area and I do "believe" when we were up towards Jasper, NY I saw goats out in someones field. They might know of who has what in that area..give them a call they might help you out too. Hope this gives you some leads and like I said...I'll keep my "ears" open to anyone in the area with the breeds that you would like. Good Luck!!