Looking for cream separator parts

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Tom McLaughlin, Feb 6, 2004.

1. Tom McLaughlin

Tom McLaughlin Tom

Anyone know if and where parts can be found for a 1950's IHC electric cream separator?

2. Years ago I used to refurbish those old separators and resell them.
    Back in the 70s, IH still had parts for their separators, but I don't know about now. You might check with an IH dealer. There might still be parts in some
    warehouse. But your best bet is to run across one for parts at a farm auction. I still see them listed occasionally on auction bills. What parts do you need?

Bruce

3. Tom McLaughlin

Tom McLaughlin Tom

Thanks for the reply. I could use but I don't think needed are the snap ring extractor,disc clamp,and bowl plug..My problem is the supply can won't set down on the skim milk collector cover. It lacks about an inch. The lifting lever system looks fine according to the picture in the operators manual.. Any help would be help for this headache. Thanks again..

4. Sounds like you've got the power washer model IH. Probably only chance of getting those parts would be to find another used one. I would be leary of the power washer models if you are using used parts. Tho I've never seen it happen, I've heard that this model can literally explode (that is, parts fly off it at a very high speed) if there's a malfunction when it's running. You might be better off trying to find one of the regular combo hand crank, electric models, IH, or DeLaval, which was a far superior machine to IH. They can still be found, I bought an IH a few years back with stainless steel parts for $10 at auction. Most now wind up as mailboxes.

Bruce

5. Yep, it is a power wash model 3F. with stainless steel parts. Sounds like it could be more than a headache!! Any way to tell if trouble can happen? This one has been used.. Do you know of any safe, quality separators for sale or recommend reading material? Info on separators seems hard to find. Again, Thanks, Tom

6. Don't know of any way to tell of trouble with the separator beforehand. I didn't have much to do with the power washers.

I've seen at least a few foreign made new separators advertised for sale. Have you tried Lehman's Hardware, I think they sell them. Do a search for them on the net.

bruce

7. Bruce,
    After re reading your post on exploding I realized you said if you are using used parts . I'm not using used parts, the parts I am looking for seem non essential for operation, but I am assuming the rest is original. Does the use of used parts increase chances of explosion or is it the model even when new had this problem?

8. Have you looked on E-bay? There are usually some separators there and I have seen parts as well.

9. Tom McLaughlin

Tom McLaughlin Tom

Yep, Thats where I bought it. LOL> First time in 20 years I trusted someones word. Dumb I Know..It won't happen again. Thanks ta all fur da replies. Tom

10. After re reading your post on exploding I realized you
    said if you are using used parts . I'm not using used
    parts, the parts I am looking for seem non essential for
    operation, but I am assuming the rest is original. Does
    the use of used parts increase chances of explosion or is
    it the model even when new had this problem?

I just can't answer your questions. Don't have much experience with
    the power washer.

I checked Lehman's site and they have two table model separators
    for sale, on backorder, tho.