Looking for 'cooler weather' seed catalogs

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Ann Mary, Dec 26, 2006.

1. Ann Mary

Ann Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

Even though I'm in a zone 5 we usually have very cool temps at night in the summer...around 45-65... because we are in a bit of a 'draw' and it always prevents my tomaotes, etc from doing well. I had the same green tomaotes on the vine for almost 3 months last summer! :rolleyes: So,...can anyone recommend to me a seed catalog that sells seeds that like cooler temps? Maybe high altitude seeds? Thanks! :) (Even put up a greenhouse over the tomatoes last summer...but a high wind 'took care of that'.

2. InHisName

InHisName Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi Ann Mary! Sounds about like where I live here in E Washington- we have 90 growing days- and that does not include the snow shower on the 4th of July!- try Fedco, Pinetree Garden seeds- I think that is www.superseeds.com - also a website that someone from here mentioned has lots of wonderful cooler weather tomatoes- Sandhill Preservation center. I think a Google search will bring it up. A great place for fruit trees for your area would be www.burntridge.com - they are in WA so the shipping is reasonable- the standard trees are all Anaktova (I think that's spelled wrong) rootstock, which is very hardy. St Lawrence Nursery is also cold hardy- very nice trees- I had a thread on this garden site about tomatoes and there was some great input- you might check back a bit. Hope you find the tomatoes you are looking for! Ours here are harvested mostly green too, they ripen eventually anyway, but vine ripened tomatoes are what I am striving for. Stupice is a very good tomato for our area- If you have access to it, Backwoods Home magazine just this month had a nice article on growing tomatoes in a zone like ours.
    Hope you have a great garden this year!
    Teri

3. InHisName

Forgot to mention Territorial seed (out of Oregon- cooler weather items) and Irish Eyes Garden City Seeds out of Ellensburg Wa- also cooler weather items.
    Teri

4. Zebraman

Zebraman Well-Known Member

5. Ann Mary

Ann Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks, everyone! I am familiar with the companies listed except for the burntridge...couldn't seem to get on their site.. do you kow where in WA they are located?? I'm VERY familiar with the Spokane area. .I will re-check out High Altitude again...was hoping for a FREE catalog...the kind I can sit down in a comfy chair and look through. oh, well. Last year I planted the tomato Oregon Spring since it was supposed to do better in cooler weather...didn't do any better than any others. I'll keep looking. I'll go through those other catalogs and look for the cool weather seeds too. thanks!

6. InHisName

7. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

Fedco http://www.fedcoseeds.com/ is in Maine, shorter cooler summers, and has lots of apppropriate seeds and plants.

They also tell you where the seeds were raised--large commercial grower, small farm, or gardener.

8. Zebraman

Zebraman Well-Known Member

Hey Ann Mary;On the High Altitude site check out the Siberian Tomatoes.-