Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to plant some bur oaks on my property. Does anyone near me have any acorns they can mail me? Ten acorns should be enough. I can pay for postage and packaging. I would Really appreciate it!!! :kiss:

·
Registered
253 Posts
Take a walk around some of the local golf courses or city parks until you find some. Acorns from local trees will be more likely to survive.

·
My name is not Alice
4,185 Posts
No promises, but we usually make an October picnic to Loose Park in KC. They have lots there, plus about any other oak tree you can name. IF we go, and IF I find some, I'll save you some.

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awnry Abe- that would be great!

Forcast- Thanks for offering, but my neighbor has a white oak that I've been planning to raid, so I got that covered. :)

OH Boy- I'll check those out. It seems like all I see around here are red oaks and live oaks.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Buffy in Dallas, if you are anywhere near Richardson there is a park there called Foxboro and there are several burr oaks...you can pick up all you want! Check the city website for address. I used to live right down the street.

T

·
0 Posts
My daughter brought me several from her college, and I don't really wish to have them here... If no one else comes up with any, I would be glad to send you the 3-4 that I have from OSU. :)

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks y'all!!! I'll have to find out when they start falling here. I'm in Dallas now but could throw a rock and have it land in Richardson.
I'll check out that park! If I can't find them I'll let y'all know. :kiss:

·
My name is not Alice
4,185 Posts
We finally made our picnic trip to the park in the city.

ImageUploadedByHomesteading Today1413851500.752000.jpg

The weather was pretty much perfect this weekend. Loose Park in KC is a pretty nice little park, and is home to an incredible variety of oaks.

Many of the trees are under siege from some sort of pest. The tree in the background was alive and well last year.

ImageUploadedByHomesteading Today1413851754.621211.jpg

Last weekend was our first attempt at the picnic, but a monsoon of a rainstorm cancelled it. I had a difficult time finding good Burr Oak acorns, bit did manage a few. I think most of them washed into one of the duck ponds.

Send me a PM and I'll drop them in the mail to you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts