looking for bred dairy girl in Virginia

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by comfortacres, Oct 17, 2006.

1. comfortacres

comfortacres Member

hello all my name is Natasha and I live in Powhatan Va. We have two three year old Jerseys on our homestead and would like to add a third girl to the mix because we would like to expand our cowshare program without going back to twice day milking *smile*.

We are a family with young children so we are looking for a sweet docile disposition, and we love jerseys and dutch belteds.

We are not looking for a high priced show cow, more interested in a gentle, bred and easy to breed ai, girl that does well on pasture and hay.

If you are close enough, and are willing to barter, I am a culinarian and a massage therapist, and would be very open to exchange.

Thank you,
    natasha
    comfort acres farm(ette)
    natashatitus@hughes.net

2. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

Your post suggests that you milk cows once daily?....do you simply not feed grain so cow is comfortable with 1 a day? ..particulars?

3. comfortacres

comfortacres Member

Up North,

I do feed very little grain, (just a treat to come get milked) and my girls are in the latter part of their cycle (they calved in March). I got them from a grass fed dairy and they were culled due to being low producers and not having even teats. Unfortunately, the dairy sold out, or I would be looking there for cows because I am so happy with my girls!
    Natasha

4. genebo

genebo Well-Known Member Supporter

Natasha,

Hello, I'm in Dinwiddie County. I keep Dexter and Dexter cross cattle.

I wanted to tell you about the Jersey sale taking place in Louisville, KY, on November 4 and 5. If you're interested, I'll get you all the details.

Jersey's seem to be scarce around here. Holsteins dominate.

Genebo
    Paradise Farm

5. busybee870

busybee870 Well-Known Member

ok, i know nothing about cows, but when i saw the headline i thought this was an ad for a guy trying to pick a girl, look at it. LOLOLOL