Looking for an article on moving logs by hand

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Freeholder, Apr 10, 2005.

1. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

There's a question been asked on the Alaska Homesteading forum about moving logs. I know I saw, some years back, an article about a man who had figured out a way to move logs -- pretty good sized ones -- from where they were cut to where he needed them to be. He was moving them by hand, without any machinery or winches or anything. I seem to remember that he was using some kind of a lever. Does anyone remember that article, and know where to find it?

Thanks,

Kathleen

2. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

3. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

It sounds like you are describing a come-along. Basically, a chain is put around the log near the front of the log. A lever is then put through the chain (I THINK it was, it MIGHT have been welded onto the chain but I doubt it), and the log is then levered forward.

It was said to be a slow way to move a log, but not difficult. I saw a picture of a man using one in a book that MIGHT have been titled "Handy farm devices".

4. naturerules1

naturerules1 Member

Great links, My mind is working things out!!! Thanks everyone!!!

5. texican

texican Well-Known Member

You can also use a tractor jack... I have to have one for my truck (too heavy for regular jacks). With the tractor jack, you can use it as a come along, just have to stop every 2 1/2 feet, tie off the chain, and get another bite.

If you're pulling your logs a good distance, you'll be forever doing this with either a come along or tractor jack... might look into either getting, or making, a small log dolly... basically a two wheeled 'upside down U' shaped dolly, with a winch at the top, to lift the middle of the log up, with a long 'arm' in front, to pull either by hand, or by 4wheeler.

Without either help, or mechanical devices, your going to be limited in the size of the logs you can use... unless you go with some of the alternative log building systems... vertical logs or short log infill systems, etc.

good luck
    phil