Looking for affordable, RELIABLE solar-powered outdoor lighting

Discussion in 'Alternative Energy' started by hoofinitnorth, Nov 5, 2006.

1. hoofinitnorth

hoofinitnorth Well-Known Member

Can't seem to find ay good solar-powered outdoor lighting that works in my northern climate with longer than 30 seconds of motion-activated light. I need both bright flood/task lights and a few landscaping guidelights along the driveway & walkways. If there are no really good self-contained units, I could fashion a small set-up with an external battery and solar panel for whatever lights you guys have found to work well but need some leads, tips, ideas, etc.

2. 12vman

12vman Offgridkindaguy

I have a seperate system from the main in the house that operates outdoor lighting. I have 98 watts of panel and use a Xantrex C-12 for the day/nite control. I have some home brew L.E.D. light fixtures along the front of the house. Lights up my parking area enough to get in and out of the house. I also have some small floods that I can kick on with a switch..

Design yourself a small solar system (12 Volt) and use the C-12 controller. One marine battery will light a bunch of L.E.D.'s and a small flood or two and stay on all night. I built my floods from a pak of the low voltage landscaping lights. The pak I bought had 4 floods and 6 of the standard edging fixtures. Installed 4 watt bulbs in the flood fixtures and they work great. I mounted these under the eaves around 7' from the ground. Not bad.. Better than total darkness..

I found a site that sells replacement bulbs for the standard fixtures that are L.E.D.'s..

http://spectrumled.com/194.htm (194 inverted lenses)

But a standard set and replace the bulbs. You can use the supplied wiring..

3. 12vman

12vman Offgridkindaguy

I forgot to mention..

I have a couple of the Brinkman motion detector lights mounted on the side of the house but I agree, They don't work for very long..

I fixed that by connecting them to my main system and using a 12/6 volt regulator (NTE 962) to replace the on board battery and solar panel. They work perfect..