Homesteading Forum banner

Looking for a source to order Beet Sugar seeds

899 views 11 replies 12 participants last post by  Christiaan 
#1 ·
I am looking for a source to order beet sugar/sugar beet seeds that will grow in Canada. Is anyone able to point me in the right direction?
Thanks!
LIVE SIMPLY,THAT OTHERS MAY SIMPLY LIVE

#5 ·
try homestead organics in berwick. if he does not carry it he will probably know where also kcat's hort dept.don't be discouraged if they tell you that there is not enough heat units to your area , they thought grain corn could not be commercial and soys and look now!gardens north may also have something but he tends to specialize in weed seeds

#7 ·
Jan Sears said:
I am looking for a source to order beet sugar/sugar beet seeds that will grow in Canada. Is anyone able to point me in the right direction?
Thanks!
LIVE SIMPLY,THAT OTHERS MAY SIMPLY LIVE
Hi Jan, try 'Ontario Seed Company' in Waterloo, Ontario (I think), can't find my catalogue at the moment. Good folks, if they don't have seed they should be able to direct you.
Where are you located? Sugar beets are once again being grown on a commercial scale in western Ontario so somebody will know where to get seed. Are you planning a small plot or an entire field?
Let me know, I can dig a little deeper if need be.
cheers,

#12 ·
The process for extracting the sugar would more than likely make it much more expensive than storebought sugar. Their domestic use seems to be as animal fodder. You can eat them, but you get an awfully bland vegetable with just a hint of dirt. Their greens, however, are delicious.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.