Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
tomatoes, onions, green chilis, jalapenos, cilantro and salt.

Just guessing on quantities, but I am guessing I do about 4 good sized tomatoes per small onion, 2 green chilis and half a jalapeno.

I can it just like tomatoes.

·
nosey, but disinterested
3,220 Posts
Actually, the ball blue book has a couple good ones in it. And you can add cilantro to any good salsa recipe. Just don't use as much oregano if you use cilantro, or omit it completely. Here's my favorite from the Ball book:

10 cups chopped seeded tomatoes
5 cups chopped seeded green peppers
5 cups chopped onions
2 1/2 cups chopped seeded hot peppers (I use a mix of jalepenos and banana)
1 1/4 cups cider vinegar (I don't like cider vinegar so I use white)
3 cloves garlic minced
2 Tbs cilantro
3 tsp salt
1 tsp hot pepper sauce (optional - I don't use it)

Combine all ingredients in a large sauce pot, adding hot pepper sauce, if desired. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 min.
Process 15 min in boiling water bath. Makes 6 pints.

This is awesome salsa. I don't bother canning it though, it gets ate up too fast -- and all my friends have "Lesa's making salsa radar" and seem to show up the day I decide to make some. Sometimes I make a double batch so they can take some home.

·
Premium Member
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
okies...this is my deal...I have been reading..and most of the recipes I read say ALOT about making sure the acidity is correct I have a ball blue book..and that is what threw me for a loop...I sure dont want to poison my family, I have made salsa before but it was a sweet salsa and I dont care for it sweet...that ball one has more peppers in it than I like too...LOL picky aint I??? LOL

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
tomatillos are a great addition and we use about 50:50 tomatos:tomatillos......the usual suspects; onions, garlic, cilantro, and try adding some smoked jalapenos, habeneros, or chili peppers for an added kick along with the fresh peppers.....we had given up on canning salsa since it always turned out kinda bland but with the additions of the smoked peppers it makes a great canned salsa......we also add fresh lime juice for flavor and to decrease the pH.....try it...you'll like it!!

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
If you follow the Ball recipe and leave out the peppers, it will be just fine. Remember to use the vinegar. If you're concerned about poisoning the family, make sure that you use commercial vinegar or test your home made vinegar for minimum 5% acidity.

Nick and I enjoyed the last jar of last year's salsa last night.

We're still alive and kicking, and no tummy troubles at all. :)

Hmm. Hope we get enough tomatoes this week to put up some more. Golly, I make good salsa! (No brag, just fact.)

Pony!

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
For years and years I have used the above recipe and canned it like tomatoes. No vinegar. I learned from my MIL, who learned from her Old Mexico neighbor. Are you saying it isn't safe? Not being belligerent - just genuinely interested in the safety of my family!

·
Premium Member
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
heheh I dont know if it is safe or unsafe...I just have been reading online and nearly all the recipes online for canned salsa...make a HUGE deal out of the acidity thing which scared me because I had originally planned on just mixing up salsa like I do my fresh salsa, and then just canning...sooo was asking about other peoples recipes..

~C~

·
Working toward the dream
1,008 Posts
ArkansasLady said:
heheh I dont know if it is safe or unsafe...I just have been reading online and nearly all the recipes online for canned salsa...make a HUGE deal out of the acidity thing which scared me because I had originally planned on just mixing up salsa like I do my fresh salsa, and then just canning...sooo was asking about other peoples recipes..

~C~
That is because so many of the newer hybrid tomatoes are low acid. Like others have said, add lemon or lime juice to increase the acidity and you should be fine.

Kitty

·
Registered
204 Posts
we just got done making our 3rd batch :) we are pretty fond of our salsa we are making (the same one listed above). We do not add the amount of vinger listed-- we put a 1/4 cup per batch and we didnt get any tummy aches from last years batch either :)
good luck and I hope you enjoy yours as much as we enjoy ours.

·
Premium Member
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
okies this is the one I used...
8 cups peeled, cored, chopped fresh tomatoes
1 to 2 cups seeded and chopped fresh jalapeño peppers;
use more or less to taste
2 cups chopped onion
8 cloves garlic, minced
½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon salt
¾ cup cider vinegar
¼ cup fresh lime juice

Combine all ingredients in a large pot. Bring to a boil over medium high heat.
Reduce heat and simmer about 10 minutes. Pour hot salsa into hot pint jars,
leaving ¼ inch headspace. Seal jars with two piece caps. Process in a boiling water bath for 15 minutes.

I actually made a batch and half..which made 8 pints..thanks for all the help...

·
Registered
10,221 Posts
Pony said:
Golly, I make good salsa! (No brag, just fact.)
I'll agree with that. You used green tomaters in the one you brought me, right??

Can I get that recipe?? Pretty please!

The salsa I put up this weekend was (about)

6 c skinned, seeded & chopped tomatoes
1.5 c sweet peppers
1.5 c onions
1 teaspoon dry cilantro (I used approx 1 Tbl fresh - awe heck, more than that!)
1/2 jalapeno
1/2 c lemon juice (could use white vinegar)

eta:
GARLIC!

Combine and cook at simmer for 20 minutes, pack into hot jars, water bath pints for 35 minutes.

(can't believe I forgot the garlic!)

·
Premium Member
7,230 Posts
Anyone have a good acidity test? Like how much baking soda should be needed per 1/8 cup of the salsa mix to get to no more fizzing?

My salsa is raw- 3 tomatos 1-2 jalapenos 1/2 c + chopped green onions or chives dash wine vinegar dash olive oil 1/4 c chopped cilantro. I freeze rather than can it.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I wonder if the reason I (and my MIL) have never had a problem is because we use heirloom Mexican tomatoes? She's been saving the seeds for over 40 years, and they are high in acid.

Do you think that makes a difference?

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Jenn said:
Anyone have a good acidity test? Like how much baking soda should be needed per 1/8 cup of the salsa mix to get to no more fizzing?

My salsa is raw- 3 tomatos 1-2 jalapenos 1/2 c + chopped green onions or chives dash wine vinegar dash olive oil 1/4 c chopped cilantro. I freeze rather than can it.
for safe waterbath canning you want a pH of 4.6 or lower.....cheap and easy to use pH strips or tape are available at most pool supply stores if you want to check the pH........or you could calculate the amount of bicarb needed to neutralize a specific amount of salsa....I think the strips are easier!

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Even the heirloom tomatoes are not a guarantee because of the soil they are grown in. If I planted seeds here and you planted them, they would not necessarily have the same ph level because of the difference in soil.
Testing your products at home is not really reliable, either, since you can test a product, but at it sits it can change in ph level.
The recipes are good, I think, at least the ones I have used, just thin. I add some instant Clear Jel sometimes when I open the jars of salsa.
There is one recipe from a gal, called Annie's salsa. I will find the recipe and post it. It is thicker and nice. I made it and it is good ! Note that if you want to do it in a boiling water bath you must increase the vinegar to a full cup.
Here's the recipe.

ANNIE’S SALSA

8 cups tomatoes, peeled, chopped and drained
2 ½ cups chopped onion
1 ½ cups chopped green pepper
3 – 5 chopped jalapenos
6 cloves minced garlic
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp pepper
1/8 cup canning salt
¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup vinegar
16 oz. tomato sauce
16 oz tomato paste
Mix all ingredients, bring to a boil, boil 10 minutes. Pour into hot jars, process at 10 lbs of pressure for 30 minutes for pints.
OR increase the vinegar to one cup, and process in a boiling water bath for 15 min.

Makes 6 pints

1 - 20 of 20 Posts