Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a boar to borrow within an hour or two of Kansas City. I AI'd one of my girls but if that didn't take they will both be coming back into heat next week. The main issue with finding a boar has been size. My girls are over 500#s and quite tall. I have purchased a young boar but he will need another 18 mo to grow to be big enough for these two. I would also be interested in a berk/spot cross boar. I would prefer to work out a trade, you get some new blood I get some new blood kind of deal, but can pay for his "services" also. Please let me know ASAP before I order semen to try AI again. Thanks.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well no luck. I went ahead and ordered semen from NIBS. I went with the $10 non designated berk semen this time. I need to get better at AI before I try the pricey stuff again.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Did you receive any instruction in AI or take a course? Does the company you bought from provide any instruction? I have wondered how tricky it is. We've AI'd mares using an equine repro vet, and the timing is so critical, it makes me hesitate to try with a sow. Though the heat "window" is much smaller, so maybe that makes it easier? (Mares can express heat for several days.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts