Looking for a Mini-Mancha mentor

Discussion in 'Goats' started by suzyhomemaker09, Jul 28, 2006.

1. suzyhomemaker09

suzyhomemaker09 Well-Known Member

I have LaManchas now..and am very interested in trying to breed up some mini's
    Could you tell me about your experiences with these animals...how you got started and such?

2. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

I right now only have one Mini Mancha buck (need to get some more Mini Mancha does) and I adore my boy. He is the sweetest most affectionate fellow. Alot like my standard La Manchas just smaller package.

I think Mini LaManchas are great for people who love standard LaManchas but don't want to have to deal with that big of a critter. I love my Monkey Face (my boy's name) and he has the best personality (well to tell you the truth all my bucks do....not one mean or nasty buck on this farm as I won't tolerate that).

MotherClucker

3. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

I got my start in MiniManchas fron Sondra Peterson....she posts on here and also on www.dairygoatsplus.com
    she has EXCELLENT stock. She is also heading up the MiniManchas club. If I were you, I would contact Sondra. She is very knowledgeable in the breed and can help you..........Diane

4. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

Well for starters you need either a MM buck or a ND buck the result of the offspring are 1st generation Mini LaManchas the goal is a smaller dairy goat with a capacious udder easy to milk more butter fat from the ND but nice sized teats. and temperment of the LaMancha. Ultimately you have to do a lot of culling because as with LaMancha's it is either elf or gopher ears on does and gopher ears on bucks. your aim is to eventually get to gen 7 I believe and a purebred MM. you can email me at anytime if you like. allcraft@netzero.net.

5. Sondra Peterson

by the way where are you located and if you want a jump start on the Mini Mancha's I have some 3 and 4 generations to sell.

6. suzyhomemaker09

We are in Southern Missouri near Branson

7. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

Say that three times fast:
    Mini Manch mentor
    Mini Manch mentor
    Mini Manch mentor

:baby04:
    Sorry, feeling goofy this morning. Must be the cold medicine.

8. dbarjacres

dbarjacres Well-Known Member Supporter

We got started in Mini Manchas almost a year ago and they are great. Beautiful and wonderful temperments. If you have the Lamancha does and cross to a Nigerian Dwarf buck, you'll cut the size down faster than crossing to a Mini Mancha buck right away as that would give you probably 75%+ Lamancha breeding where MM to ND gives you 50/50. Either way will be a 1st. generation. A nigerian buck will be no doubt easier to find. I've got two gorgeous Nigerian bucklings for sale! Both registered with excellent pedigrees.
    Jenny www.dbjacres.com

9. suzyhomemaker09

So....
    Along those notes more questions arise, Allowing for the lage difference in sizes do you find that a smaller buck is able to properly cover a full sized doe? Would they have to be A.I.ed? We've not done a whole lot of breeding so we are far from expert.

10. suzyhomemaker09

bump...
    any answers to this ?

11. Sondra Peterson

Sorry haven't been back on here. you may have to put the buck on a bale of hay or something and hand breed but some does will lay down for them to breed or squat way down for them. I really all depends on the doe.
    I do not recommend breeding a LaMancha buck to a ND doe tho which in your case most likely would never happen.