Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to find something I can do at home in my spare time to make a few extra dollars. I can't raise livestock because I live in town and my garden area isn't big enough to grow more than my family will consume so I am kind of stuck. Any help? :shrug:

·
Premium Member
1,687 Posts
Do you sew? Tailoring, aprons etc.
childcare
animal sitting
elder care... their laundry, errands for them, transporting
teaching: piano, sewing, knitting, painting...........................
baking: breads, cookies, pies................
Make an extra serving of your supper and sell to a neighbor who can not or does not have the time to cook. This would be soooo easy if you found someone interested. Even a professional couple who are BUSY. Would not have to be every night.
Good Luck...Joan

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
If you are able to type and want to be able to do it from home, google Andrews school of transcription and see if you can pass her test. If you can, she will (sometimes) help with tuition and will teach you medical transcription. Then go to www.mtjobs.com and you can see all the legitimate transcription jobs available. I have been a transcriptionist for 18 years now. This job has moved with me. I can do part time, full time, independent contractor, statutory employee, or regular employee, with full benefits, partial benefits, no benefits, whatever the case may be.

Some of the companies on the mtjobs site want seasoned persons to work. Some will accept newbies. Don't be afraid to ask if they will hire newbies. Some places like OSI have mentoring programs for new transcriptionists.

Good luck! You can make a lot of extra money with this, or a little, just depends on how many hours you want to put into it. Oh and most are very flexible with hours too.

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
I currently work for TransTech Medical Transcription. They do not take new people, but there are a number of companies that do. You do have to have an accredited medical terminology class behind you, which is what the andrews school of transcription can do. It is just one of many transcription courses that are accredited, but I prefer her as she was a transcriptionist for 30 years and now she teaches it. You can take medical transcription courses at a lot of colleges, but it is expensive and very long. With schools like the one I mentioned, you can work at your own pace, and be done with it in 3 weeks. She offers very easy payments too, with a down payment. She used to offer a down payment and then the rest over a 2 year period with no interest, so that helps a lot. She has been where we are and has climbed herself up out of the hole and is now making some money with her knowledge.

Generally it is not hard to get into the companies that state "no experience necessary." But remember, you will also work for a lower pay when you start. I am paid by the line as are most of these positions. Lines can vary. They are normally 65 characters. That said, some companies will pay you for every hit of the keyboard, some companies will not pay you for spaces, some companies will pay for anything that shows up on the page, and some companies won't pay for headers. Its a little bit tricky when they say, so much per line, but you need to ask, what does a line constitute, before you say it sounds so great. It may be great and it may not.

If you have more questions, just let me know. I'll be glad to help with whatever I can. :)

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Heck, try selling some simple items on e bay.

I sell my extra stuff on e bay. Many times I am supprised at what I get for it.

When I go to Auctions I buy the cheap toaster ovens and micro waves. I sell them on e bay.

Shipping is paid for by the buyer and the boxes are easy to get.

Many make ebay a full time job. I DO NOT know the right way to do this. Just something I do for fun as I buy alot off ebay.

Check it out. You never know. You could be the next e bay guru.

I even sold my fleece and wool on ebay and WAS SHOCKED at what I got for it.

R

·
0 Posts
Well Tryinhard, tell us a little about yourself so we can have a better ideal of what might be more suitable for you. Or what you desire. There's things we do for extra money but they may not be suitable for you. Are you male or female? Married or single? Is your spouse willing to help out?

One thing we do to make money in the fall is to process deer for hunters and make sausage. You might could try to take on a few customers or you might just offer sausage making only. But then you might be too squimmish of blood!

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Take a gander at WAHM (work at home moms) message board for "Live Ops", maybe something your interested in. Being an operator taking orders over your computer from various companies like Home Shopping as an example. I think several members of HT work as Ops, or did at one time. Try asking this question in the Country Families forum.

If interested, here's the messageboard (WAHM)...........................
http://www.wahm.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=41

Go deeper into the site and see other jobs that others are doing, as well as read the pros/cons of working for the different companies that hire stay at home moms to work out of home.

BTW......... there're some stay at home dads as well. If any of the men folk have an interest. :)

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Here's a company that pays hourly wage. The site also says benefits, but I didn't go that deep to see what that means. Problem is you don't get to pick the hours you want to work, they do it and it's only part time (20+ hrs a week) at $9+ an hr depending on the company they assign you to...........

http://www.hirepoint.com/athome/index.html

·
Registered
7,100 Posts
Got room to raise earth worms? Or mice for the medical industry or pet seekers? Snake owners always seek mice for their pets. Everything has got to eat.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I know what you can do. I have been looking to replace my work at home secretary. i THINK MY neice is going to do it. Her good for nothing mother will not work, but this girl dos't want to turn out like her mother.

I have used work at home folks as a part time secretary. It works well.

You have a computer with internet. I would think you have a phone.

Run a cheap ad in the local newspaper or a online ad. Advertise your self as a stay at home looking for part time or Full time office work. The pay isn't great but, it isn't bad.

I try to not pay more then 300 a week. I have found that some folks will work part time from home for 8+ folks at 300 a week. That is 2400 bucks a week! I like to be the only person they work for.

It works nice for me and for them.

I KNOW FOR A FACT there are folks like me that need this. Just be carfull. Some will try to pay you say 200 a week, but they need you 6 hours a day. DO NOT SELL YOUR SELF SHORT.

To get a idea what you may do. The lady that works for me now is getting old and just dosn't want to do it anymore. So the neice gets to move in.

Kathy the lady I use now. She may work No hours one week and 12 the next. She gets a set wage.

This week she did very little. I had her order me some oil. She was given a task of getting me a certain type for the cheapest she could find. Have it delivered on a certain date and that is that. She pays for everything Via a credit number I gave her to us. Others are paid for via pay pal.

Then this am. I called her to see if she could do me a favor. SHE DOSN'T work on Sundays. That is the deal we have. She said she was not busy and would do it. I had her line up a plane ticket to go to my city meeting. Told her what I wanted and when I had to be were and such.

Not a problem. She took care of it.

Next week looks like she will not have much to do, but you never know.

I have found that this works well. I know there are folks like me that need stay at home support people.

I try to work on contract. I tell her what I need. I need her to provide at least 2 hours a day to me during biz hours. She dosn't work on Sunday. 99% of Saturdays is not needed as well.

Most of the work is simple. Get me some phone numbers. Type up a paper and e mail it to so and so. Nothing hard really. Much is just sourcing products. (finding stuff).

I do not have folks call her. I call her. She may have folks call her back on stuff. I do not know. She takes care of stuff. To me she is worth 800 a week, but she is going to quit and go live the good life. Her sister and her purchased a newer RV and plan on going out all over.

I would suggest you look into something like this IF you can do this type of work.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I forgot to add. Kathy lives in South Dakota. So were you live isn't much of a problem.

I have never seen her. For the last 2 years she has done my dirty work. Great lady.

·
Suburban Homesteader
2,558 Posts
I second daytrader. I'm a virtual assistant, similar to what daytrader's secretaries do except I work with online databases, marketing, contact management, etc. I have clients all over the nation. I found myself out of a job and needing income, so I hung out my shingle as a virtual assistant doing things I did when I worked in an office.

T

·
0 Posts
Hey Daytrader!!

I live on the other side of St. Louis. If your neice doesn't work out, let me know! I worked as an office temp for a few years and can research stuff like no one's business.

I even have a habit of bringing fresh baked goods to appease my bosses! I'll start making bread here soon once it starts to cool down.... :cool:

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Maria, I hope times are good for you. Seems folks like you are in demand.

Before Kathy I had a guy that did my dirty work. He was Jamie. A flaming gay guy.

To me this was odd as I am homophobic. Yet, he could cover the part. He was very smart had the skills needed and TALKED like a woman when needed. I know for a fact he is turning 2k a week at home.

Some say it is sexist, but life is life. A man can get some info much better. Women can get other info much better. Jamie was killer. He could get contractors to service him in ways it would take a 6 foot 130 pound blond to do. ALL OVER THE PHONE.

I did meet him. He was a odd as they come. looked like a man. Fake boobs and wore a dress. He is doing sells now. He is a sells person. He plays two differant folks. I wish I could find a person like him again.

While I do not agree with his life style. That is his biz. He is making good money doing his thing. All at home and over the phone and internet.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Tonya said:
Hey Daytrader!!

I live on the other side of St. Louis. If your neice doesn't work out, let me know! I worked as an office temp for a few years and can research stuff like no one's business.

I even have a habit of bringing fresh baked goods to appease my bosses! I'll start making bread here soon once it starts to cool down.... :cool:
How far are you From Fairview Hights Illinois? If not to far. I may have a deal you would like.

We are opening a new store front there. I need an office manager. A manager of a 1 person crew.lol Computer skills and shipping is all you will do.

This is an onsite job. Pays very well. Hours are long. Work is easy pay on contract or %.

If the neice dosn't work out. I will be looking again. The wife dose help out alot and dose alot of my NASTY work. I think The neice is about about 50%. She is a nice girl, but her mother is a bum. She says she wants to do it, but her mother of a bum will ware on her.

Her mother is already causing problems. I purchased the computer, paid to have cable and dsl. Now her monther wants money for the extra power bill.

I am starting to get fed up.

I like the girl. She is smart, but her mother keeps her down.

She isone of those that will not get her kid condoms BECAUSE SHE HAS TOLD US. If she gets knocked up it would be better for her.

Good thing the neice has us to buy her what she needs. She also dosn't run around, but has a boy friend. State pays all her medical bills. The wife just takes her in and says she is her Mother.

It makes me mad. I hate folks like this. Living off their children.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
www.liveops, teamdoubleclick.com, workathomeagents.com are all legitimate, so is willow, work the hours you want,

1 - 20 of 40 Posts