Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am looking to find the best place to purchace a nice buck kid next spring for next fall use.

i want the production records to be threw the roof and confermation in the pedigree to be outstanding.
i dont mind paying for quality at all

right now i am in contact with a dairy out in california that has all breeds, and milk records well over 4000 lb in 305 days

I would like to shop a bit. so if anyone could point me in the right dirrection of more out standing herds please let me know

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
What breed?

Because if you are a dairy and just looking for a buck to breed to all your does, in heart beat I would get a buckling out of Agatha from http://soldiermountainalpines.bravehost.com/ She just milked 30 pounds on test! She is a breed leader, and is as beautiful as she is milky. Vicki

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
lynpea said:
WOW!!! Vicki... she gets those kind of numbers from grass hay and alfalfa pellets?
Yes, she does ;)
Actually our hay is a mix -- sometimes it's all grass, sometimes more alfalfa, but the pellets make all the difference in the world. Grain is simply a plain COB.

I just got my last DHIR paperwork back -- my rolling herd average -- with 6 of the 13 does being yearlings mind you -- is 3592 pounds! I have one home-bred yearling projected at 3700 pounds, and 2 others over #3000.

Thanks for the recommendation, Vicki! :) Bob-- I emailed you!

Tracy

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hey, I didnt know you were on here :dance:

that Agatha is something. i didnt know there were white alpines, i bet like you said , some judges hate her for that. all my does are grade and crossed up with about everything else

I will try to get you some pics

the reaason i want a great buck is that there are sverel amish farms around here close that is starting to sell to cheese plants and they need bucks that will help them make fast improvment. none of them will show but confemation is still very important to a healthy productive goat

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
I just looked around that site and man, do I LOVE Her alpines! And I think Agatha is gorgeous!

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
I had Alpines in high school (only boers here in my old age) and boy howdy, she's got the prettiest I've ever seen.

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
Nice goats! Too bad they have a CAE positive herd. :( I won't buy from a CAE-, CL-, or Johne's-positive herd.

HELP! Seems impossible these days to find very many farms without CAE, CL, or Johne's. I don't understand why they keep these animals and even breed them. *sigh*

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
So disclosing your animals are positive and heat treating and pasteurising is worse than not testing and using CAE prevention. Read most websites you go to, there is no talk of whole herd CAE negative animals in old herds. Now in new herds, yes, where they have purchased goats off the backs of years of testing from these long lived herds. It would make you feel better for them to destroy all their positive stock to sell to you? Do you ask to see these soo called negative whole herd tests before you purchase stock from other herds. Not wanting to buy from Redwood Hills because of their prices is one thing, not wanting to purchase because they are honest about the status of their adult doe herd is shooting yourself in the foot. They are a commercial dairy, cheesemakers, national show winners, have a reputation for quality and health in the goats that they sell, just having their pedigree in a buck in your herd will increase the value of thier kids...and believe me they don't need me saying this in their behalf! Vicki

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians - I always ask. ALWAYS. I want proof of recent test results too and I want to know the herd from which I buy such that there is no known risk of exposure.

I personally believe there is no reason to propogate a disease (or diseases) we could have eradicated years ago by simple humane cull or wether programs. And yes, I do know folks that have had to do this with their ENTIRE herds when a positive animal showed up. Absolutely devastating. That's why it's so important that I never go down that road. Ever.

·
Registered
113 Posts
When you consider how little is truly known about CAE hoe do you know you have a "clean" herd. I am more than sure Redwood hills or any other milking herd would not put up with does that could only crawl around on their knees or have frozen joints that greatly hamper their movement. When you get to thinking about it ,sick does do not milk! Many so called CAE does have tested positive by
one test, negative by another, who is right? Destroying herds with CL is one thing CAE is another. Both can be managed but the CL herds take the more work and spread 100 times faster than CAE. CL leaves objects contaminated.CAE does not.
I applaud Redwood Hills if they are big enough to say they have CAE ! If anyone knows it could be handled they would!
Suemo

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
hoofinitnorth said:
Nice goats! Too bad they have a CAE positive herd. :( I won't buy from a CAE-, CL-, or Johne's-positive herd.

HELP! Seems impossible these days to find very many farms without CAE, CL, or Johne's. I don't understand why they keep these animals and even breed them. *sigh*
They dont have a CAE positive herd they have CAE positive Does in their herd.
And why they breed them is to produce the High Quailty and productive Dairy goats that they have. They take precautions and that matters alot
They State that they Test Annually and Negitive and Positive odes are separated. and that their does are teat taped so the Kids that are born when they are not there cannot Nurse. They feed the kids Heat treated Colostrum as well as Pasteurized milk. and that is with all the kids not just the ones from the Possible Positive does. As well as for CL they state they are Abscess Free.
At least the Heat treat and Pasteurize all The kids where I see alot of people post on here that beings there herd tested Negative They let them Nurse. so who is to say that the does a person lets nurse their kids dont show up positive the next time they test and if you sold kids out of the does would they not be Positive also.
Redwood is a Buisness and they Care alot about their Goats They might have 350 girls in milk but they are no different then people on here that have 1 or 100. Their animals health is just as important. Look up alot of the old post and you can see for your self that alot of people test 1 time and feel they are safe. at Least Redwood Keeps doing it, and not just say well they were negitive last time so why test.
If their Prices were not out of my Range and they were not so far away and across the Border.
I would not even have to think about getting a doe from them in fact I would get 3 or 4.
At least they are Open about it and have proof which alot of people can not say.

Just my 2 Cents.

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
Suemo said:
When you consider how little is truly known about CAE hoe do you know you have a "clean" herd. I am more than sure Redwood hills or any other milking herd would not put up with does that could only crawl around on their knees or have frozen joints that greatly hamper their movement. When you get to thinking about it ,sick does do not milk! Many so called CAE does have tested positive by
one test, negative by another, who is right? Destroying herds with CL is one thing CAE is another. Both can be managed but the CL herds take the more work and spread 100 times faster than CAE. CL leaves objects contaminated.CAE does not.
I applaud Redwood Hills if they are big enough to say they have CAE ! If anyone knows it could be handled they would!
Suemo
Very well said

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
Good points all around but my choice is not to encourage the breeding and keeping of animals that are known to carry or harbor the diseases stated. I do applaud farms for their honesty but I won't support their efforts to keep these does in production with my dollars nor bring their animals with known exposure risk to my farm. Their farm, their choice. My farm, my choice. ;)

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Bob, I'm everywhere, lol.

Well, I have a CAE negative herd, and I am seriously considering a buckling from Redwood Hills! Having seen their herd in person, I can honestly say they are nothing short of awe-inspiring.

I certainly can't fault a commercial herd for keeping high producing positive does. They are housed separately, kidded out separately, and I would bet their milk isn't used to feed kids at all. They run a really top notch operation.
IMO, you really can't expect a commercial dairy to act like a backyard herd -- there is a much higher economic factor to consider.

For what it's worth, I've never EVER heard of anyone buying a RWH kid and having it test positive. But, as you said, your herd, your choice. I just spent over $300 buying semen from them and I may yet add a live buck -- it doesn't worry me at all.

Tracy

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
Tracy in Idaho said:
IMO, you really can't expect a commercial dairy to act like a backyard herd -- there is a much higher economic factor to consider.
Applause, applause!!!! This is something that show and backyard breeders have a hard time seeing because they have not done it. This is not a slur, just an observation.
For a commercial herd to slaughter their high producing CAE positive does, would be shooting themselves in the foot. As long as those kids are raised negative, the does are a huge asset in breeding and milking.
Buying from a herd who has CAE positive does doesn't bother me at all. As long as I know they have a tight program to keep that milk out of their kid raising program!
Now, I will not buy from a herd with CL or Johnnes. Different ballgame than CAE. Much more destructive and not nearly as easy to contain. :nono:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.