looking for a goat in MO

Discussion in 'Goats' started by hoovershounds, Dec 27, 2006.

1. hoovershounds

hoovershounds Well-Known Member

I noticed that there seems to be a few people on here from mo & was wondering if any of you know where I can by a good doe up around the Pleasant Hill area. I tried contacting our county extension office to see if the livestock guy knew of anybody that raised dairy goats & all he could offer was boer information & told me to check out the livestock auction. I don't really want to buy this way so any info is appreciated.
    Amy

2. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

How much are you looking at spending?? Copper-Hill Nubians owned by Virginia Baker, longtime breeder of some awesome Nubians, lives below you in Butler, MO. I *love* her stock. You might call her and ask about other breeders if hers are too expensive. I don't know what she asks for her does, I've only ever bought my Little Buddy buck from her. Also, A Proverbial Caprine herd of Nubians owned by Robin and Rhonda Nichols is over in Ashland. They are probably cheaper than Copper-Hill and still decent quality, healthy stock. I can get numbers for you if your interested. They at least might have other names for you.
    I have a couple does for sale...but I'm clear down here in Southern Missouri. :)

3. JR05

JR05 Well-Known Member

hovershounds..I live in Osceola on 13 hwy. I raise nubians, toggenburgs, sanaans, and alpines. Depending on what you want I also know of some fine people in the area with good stock. My husband has done construction work in Pleasent Hill area for the last several years and is there frequently. Meeting or delivering wouldn't be a problem it you would like something from me. I currently have a young bred toggenburg doe that is due to kid in March or early April. The doe is 11 mos old and bred to a registered alpine. She is registerable as a grade as her mother is fullblood but not registered and her sire is registered. The kid if a doe will be registerable as an experimental. I also have four nubians that are fully registered that will kid in late January if that is the breed you are looking at. If interested please pm me. The toggenburg doe is only a $100.00 is current on all shots. Nubians will be $200.00 with papers.

jr05

4. hoovershounds

Wow, thanks for the info. Sounds like I have a few new people to meet & goats to see! Ozark jewel, if you can get those numbers I would appreciate it & I did notice your does for sale but couldnt figure out how to convince hubby that we needed to drive that far. I would be looking for a nubian or lamache, preferabley lamache. I really like the pictures of the does on nickel dairy (clark mo) & Forrest-Pride Dairy goats (lebonon mo) website but again they are a bit to far. I take some of our animals up to our school & the kids always get a huge kick out of the no ear thing with the lamache. Jro5, are your nubian does also bred to the alpine?
    Thanks
    Amy

5. JR05

JR05 Well-Known Member

Amy, no I have registered nubian bucks for the papered does. The reason for the togg doe being bred to the alpine is I only have one togg buck and he is her father. I also don't currently have a saanan buck so all my sanaans are bred to alpines too. Hope you find what you are looking for and good luck.

jr05

6. hoovershounds

Jro5- I have a neighbor who may be interested in your tog doe & I will pass on the info. Thanks

7. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm not sure where in MO you are located. I'm in NE Kansas 45 min from Kansas City. I have a friend with three bred Obers foe sale. Nice looking goats that did very well at fair.

Christy

8. hoovershounds

cmharris6002-I am about an hour south of kc mo. Just out of curiosity, what is an ober?
    Amy

9. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Well-Known Member Supporter

Ober = Oberhasli :) This is from OK state,

"The Oberhasli is a Swiss dairy goat. This breed is of medium size, vigorous and alert in appearance. Its color is chamois. Does may be black but chamois is preferred. Chamois is described as: Bay - ranging from light to a deep red bay with the later most desirable. A few white hairs through the coat and about the ears are permitted. Markings are to be: two black stripes down the face from above each eye to a black muzzle; forehead nearly all black, black stripes from the base of each ear coming to a point just back of the poll and continuing along the neck and back as a dorsal stripe to the tail; a black belly and udder; black legs below the knees and hocks; ears black inside and bay outside; bucks often have more black on the head than does, black whiskers, and black hair along the shoulders and lower chest with a mantle of black along the back; bucks frequently have more white hairs through the coat than does"

[​IMG]

10. chrisl

chrisl Well-Known Member

Don't know what breed you are looking for, but we raise registered Kinder goats. We are located about an hour and half north of KC metro. We just went through our first kidding phase for the year we have 6 doelings and 3 bucklings, We also have 2 nanny's and a buck we want to sell. If you haven't heard anything about kinders they are a dual purpose breed, Dairy and Meat. They were derived from a Nubian/Pygmy cross. They are wonderful goats, ours milk out real well and they don't eat as much as the larger breeds. Let us know,

Walnut Hill Farm