looking for a fence tool

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by furholler, Apr 2, 2005.

1. furholler

furholler Cedar Cove Farm Supporter

I am looking for a thingamajig that you press into the ground and place your high tensil wire on so you can pull it without unraveling the whole thing. The one fella at the farm supply called it a "spinning jenny". Is that it? Everyone I have asked since looks at me like I'm wearing a ski mask in June. Can any one help with the right name? And where can I find one. I want to get started on my fence and feel I should have one of these doohickies. Thanks.

2. GREEN_ALIEN

GREEN_ALIEN Sunny, Wet, Tornadoey SD!

It is a Spinning Jenny or Dereeler and they are available through Tractor Supply Company. Google them and get thier catalog if a store is not close by.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    OOPS sorry, they don't do mail order or online ordering...

Try your local farm store use the name dereeler...
    -----------------------------------------------------------

http://doityourself.com/store/electricfenceaccessories02.htm Bottom of the page.

3. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

4. furholler

furholler Cedar Cove Farm Supporter

So I'm not crazy! I have asked around and nobody knew what I talking about. The only farm supply store is 35 miles from here, but now that I know what I am looking for, I can shop the net also. Thank you for the links and the info! :)

5. Suzanne

Suzanne Well-Known Member

My husband made ours years ago out of 2x4's and such. It works just fine and didn't cost much...that's always an option..

6. paden

paden Well-Known Member

Drive a stake into the ground, put a piece of plywood with a hole in the middle over it then your wire roll. If you have more rolls, seperate them by more pieces of plywood. This way is a lot cheaper than buying something.

If you want it on your pickup, weld a flat plate to the bottom of the stake and bolt or clamp it to your pickup somehow.

No welder? Use pipe and handrail flanges. Screw the pipe into the flange, screw the flange to the metal plate.