Looking for a caretaking job in the redding California area

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by frontiergal, Jun 6, 2004.

1. frontiergal

frontiergal Well-Known Member

My hubby and I are moving to the Redding California area and looking for a caretaking job out there. We have had our house on the market and I think we have it sold finally. We are 45 yrs old and healthy. Empty nesters, and want to homestead. If anyone knows of someone who needs their land cared for, let us know. Thanks, Heidi

2. Hi Heidi, I have noticed that The Caretaker Gazette has dozens of caretaking positions in California in each issue. Why don't you use The Caretaker Gazette at www.caretaker.org to find the right California caretaking opportunity!

3. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

Our son lives in Redding area. Give me your email and copy of your message for me to mail to him. Maybe he knows of someone.

4. jesuisdiana

jesuisdiana Well-Known Member

Hey Heidi, I work in Redding, usually just lurk on this mb, and I live in the foothills about 30 miles east. I don't have any leads for you but let me know when you get here. The newspaper is the Record Searchlight and their web address is redding.com. Try there for the classifieds, etc. I'm sure you'll be able to find something.

5. frontiergal

Wow on the way to round mountain? Cool. I can't wait to get back to the west coast. My kids are in southern Cal. And I haven't seen them in three years because I didn't want them to fly out here and I won't fly anymore. Read the paper daily and also check burney intermountain news out also. Thanks ")

6. frontiergal

I was unable to email you. But My email is open under my post. Thanks, Heidi

7. frontiergal

I have subscribed the past year to the caretaker gazette but haven't found anything interesting there. They want butlers and maids, and want some poor slob to work for nothing and then some. I know there are a few jobs that are ok but not where I was planning on going. Thanks,Heidi

8. Originally Posted by Unregistered
    Hi Heidi, I have noticed that The Caretaker Gazette has dozens of caretaking positions in California in each issue. Why don't you use The Caretaker Gazette at www.caretaker.org to find the right California caretaking opportunity!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have subscribed the past year to the caretaker gazette but haven't found anything interesting there. They want butlers and maids, and want some poor slob to work for nothing and then some. I know there are a few jobs that are ok but not where I was planning on going. Thanks,Heidi

Hi Heidi, too bad you don't mention all the low-end, simple caretaker gigs in every issue of The Caretaker Gazette like this one that I took out of the Gazette: "CARETAKER WANTED in Northern California. Enjoy forest, fishing, hot springs, and skiing. A small guest ranch seeks a fit, non-smoking man now until April or later. Free rent for one to two hours work daily. Some odd jobs available for pay." Heidi, you can skip over the butlers and maid positions and just go after the great caretaker gigs like this one! Caretaking is great!

9. ajoys

ajoys Well-Known Member

My dad and his sister use to have 140 acres up on round mountain. The orignal plot was 70 acres and then we had a fued with the owner of the property above us. Our spring, which is where we got our water, was on his property. We where there first and had permission from the owner and then the owner sold and the new owner didn't like it etc.....

We went to court over it for two years and won the case. Once the fire happened the guy went into forclosure and we bought the additional 70 acres at the court room steps. We where the only bidders.

I use to spend about 6 weeks of every summer there as a kid. I loved it. I would work on the homestead and also help my uncle build houses. They sold the property a couple years ago to move to texas to be near there two boys and grandkids.

My grandparents lived in Redding, actually Anderson at a little trailer park on the river. After grandad died and my grandma was getting older so she is know living in Texas also with her daughter.

I really miss that place. It was a picture perfect piece of property. Imagine, you are driving up the dirt road and it opens up to this huge meadow with a barn, fencing etc..... there is a creak running right down it, at the top of the meadow they had a little A-frame (before the fire, it burned and they rebuilt) over looking the meadow with the stream beside the house, the A frame had a deck that over looked the meadow and it got perfect sun. The land was slightly uphill with the house at the top so it had great views. All around the house and meadow was dense forest. Unbelievable place.

10. frontiergal

Sounds picture perfect.