Looking for a butcher in Ohio.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Prinls, Jul 11, 2006.

1. Prinls

Prinls Active Member

I was wondering if anyone knew of a butcher to do up some chickens in Southern Ohio? I am in Brown county. Thanks.

2. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member Supporter

butchering chickens is usually a standard homestead chore. I have never heard of hiring that particular job out - cows and hogs yes, chickens, ducks, any bird no.

3. Farmer Willy

Farmer Willy Well-Known Member Supporter

Where abouts in Brown Co? I'd be willing to teach you and show you how to do it. Not that hard to learn, save your $ for things you need around the place.

4. Farmer Willy

Where abouts in Brown Co? Me and the Mrs. would be willing to teach you and show you how to do it. Not that hard to learn, save your $ for things you need around the place.

5. cc-rider

cc-rider Baroness of TisaWee Farm Supporter

I found that there are state-inspected places in Ohio that will butcher only chickens. I know of one in NW Ohio, but never asked about southern Ohio. I found out by asking at the local butcher shop. (By the way, they charge $1.45 a bird, killed, cleaned, and wrapped...packed in ice in your container).

I'd take Farmer Willy up on his offer!!!!! Wish he lived closer to me. I'm thinking of trying to find someone to do it 'on shares' up here. I'll raise the chicks, someone else can kill and clean them for 1/2 the chickens!

CC

6. bill not in oh

bill not in oh Well-Known Member

I know the Amish / Mennonite population is concentrated in Holmes and surrounding counties, but I'd be surprised if there aren't some of these folks in your area. If the birds are for your own use, they usually do a pretty good job at a very reasonable cost. If you want an inspected facility to have them processed so you can resell them, King and Sons near Dayton has an ODA on-site inspector and certification. There is another processor near Cinci that has the same certification, but I can't remember their name and I'm not sure they do custom processing... You could look under Meat Processing in the yellow pages, call a couple of them - one of them is bound to know who it is.

7. bill not in oh

bill not in oh Well-Known Member

A lot of folks, myself included, use custom processors. With 400 - 700 birds a year it really isn't worth $1.50 a pop for me to do it myself. If that was all or most of what I was doing, maybe. Plus building a good relationship with a processor is a good plan for when you get over that exemption mark of (in Ohio) 1000 birds. And if you're selling them, there are liability issues that are minimized by using a state of federally inspected and certified processor, as well as a confidence factor with your customers.

8. SW Ohio

SW Ohio Well-Known Member

Kings is a good place but up in Darke County near Gettysburg.

(937)448-2448 Maybe they know of someone closer to you.

I have also used Leighty Brothers in Clark County near New Carlisle. That is closer but still over an hour drive from you.

The link did not work the last time a tried it but maybe this will help:

Ohio Association of Meat Processors
    6870 Licking Valley Rd., Frazeyburg, OH 43822
    (740) 828-9900, Fax: 740=828=2634
    Internet: www.oamp.org, E-mail: val@comp.org
    Meat and poultry processors in Ohio

or call ODA at 614-728-6200.

Hope this helps, Brian.

9. Honorthorn

Honorthorn Active Member

PRINLS -

Where in SW Ohio are you?
    I just had 23 birds processed for $1.50 a bird in Northern KY a couple of weeks ago.
    It wasn't so much about the money as it was about the time. They had them completely processed in 45 minutes. If I was to do it my self it would have taken considerably longer than that.
    Send me a PM if you want the name of the processor.

10. kmaproperties

kmaproperties Well-Known Member

B & P Processing in Paris ohio, that is eastern stark county. 330-862-2519
    Last year she was 1.85 per bird, chilled and in a plastic bag.
    Not sure if this is close enough to you. She does a great job. All the 4H broilers from the county fairs go to her.

11. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

This is who I used also. She did an excellent job.

12. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member Supporter

bill!! "Some" chickens to me does NOT equate to 400 or more, dude. I assumed (maybe wrongly, but I doubt it) they were asking about having a dozen or some homestead hens butchered for personal use. Geez, guy. I'm not a newbie here. I've done 40-50 myself many a time and I know how long it takes to do it correctly.

13. Prinls

Prinls Active Member

Thanks everyone for the leads. Sorry I am so long in responding but I have to use the library computer for now. Thank you Farmer Willy for the kind offer but because of arthritis in my hands I am unable to do it myself.
    Before we moved back to Ohio there was a custom processor that did it for 1.50 a bird and wrapped in a plastic freezer bag. It was quick, clean and convenient.
    We made a trip into Adams County recently to look at Amish sawmills for supplies and found the prices actually higher than I could buy at Carter's in Georgetown. I am sure it is a fair price just not what I expected based on past experience with Amish sawmills.
    Right now I just have a few young roos to do up but i am thinking of growing some Cornishx for the freezer.
    We are on 505 near 125

14. Farmer Willy

I'm sorry to hear about the hands, same thing with my folks (elbows, shoulder and knees). I wish you luck in finding yourself a butcher to work with. God bless.