Looking for a barren angora doe - NY

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by minnikin1, Jan 11, 2007.

1. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

This is a longshot but I figured you never know if you don't ask...

Since it's too hard on them to be spayed, I thought maybe I could locate
    a nice friendly doe that can't breed due to natural causes.

Anyone??

2. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

why does she need to be steril?

3. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

I'm looking for a companion for a buck who just lost his best buddy....
    Buck is intact. I don't want to keep an animal without a same species friend.

4. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I have a barren doe, so they are out there. Good luck with your search.

5. hisenthlay

hisenthlay a.k.a. hyzenthlay

You might want to check petfinder.com and the webpages of your local humane societies. I just adopted a neutered male SA rabbit from my local humane society. They spay/neuter all rabbits that come through their doors, so apparently it's not too hard to do, and I only had to pay the adoption fee of $35, not for the surgery (I do feel a bit bad about that, especially since they also spent hours and ruined their clippers trying to cut all his mats out--I think I'll try to go back and donate at least what they spent on him). The shelters don't seem to get Angoras often, but it's a good cheap option for a sterile rabbit if you can find one.

6. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

*grin*, yeah, too bad you don't need a Californian!

I know major surgery is always a risk, but it can be done on rabbits. If you just need a companion and you're not too concerned about wool production, www.petfinder.com has a bunch of rescue Angoras listed. Most are already spayed or neutered.

There's also two HRS rabbit rescue chapters in NY:
    http://www.therabbitresource.org/ (upstate)
    http://www.rabbitcare.org/ (NYC)

Good luck...hope you can find a bunn!

7. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

On second look, the HRS rescues are like the bunny gestapo! "How much money do you make?" "How many pets do you have?" "Are your other pets spayed or neutered?" :p

The upstate NY chapter does have a male REW french-looking Angora listed though. :shrug:

8. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

Thanks for all the ideas. I'd forgotten about the petfinder resource...

I had tried to use HRS in Florida once. Gestapo is an excellent description of that experience!!! :)

9. 65284

65284 Well-Known Member Supporter

Some of these rescue outfits have "adoption fees" that make it seem like they are simply sellling the critters. One I looked at had 6-7 hundred dollar charges for pet birds. Why bother? For that kind of money a person can buy a bird outright and not have to jump through all of the hoops you have to if you deal with them.

10. hisenthlay

For what it's worth, when I adopted my bun from the humane society on Tuesday, they asked almost no questions. They wanted a driver's license, my phone number, and address. She handed me a little education packet on rabbits, and pointed out a few things (rabbits should live inside, rabbits need daily care, rabbits eat hay and pellets, etc.)--but she never asked me if I planned on doing those things or where I planned to keep the rabbit, if I had other pets, if I owned or rented my house, etc. The whole process took less than 20 minutes. I had the feeling I could've pointed at any 10 bunnies in the cages, said "I want those 10", and they would've processed it and let me walk right out with them, even though I told the woman that this was my first rabbit and that I didn't have all the necessary supplies at home yet (food, etc.). It was a little strange, actually. They said that they only do the gestapo thing with people wanting to adopt pit bulls and rottweilers, because a lot of those people want the dogs for the wrong reasons (fighting, vicious guard dog, junkyard dog, whatever). I'm sure the HRS people are pickier with their rabbits' adoptive homes, though.

11. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

We found a bunn bride via Petfinder. thanks again for the reminder to check there...

12. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

Maybe they are simply calling it "adoption" so they can advertise on free rescue sites? It's a shame that greed is corrupting a good thing.

13. hisenthlay

Congratulations on finding a new bunn!! :baby04: