Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well folks 2008 was a very good year for us. We moved to a new place with ten acres of land in February. Our garden flopped but we did gather plenty of wild black berries and black walnuts for the year. We got a pair of Pekin ducks that are very happy together. We accomplished building our Chicken Condo out of almost 100% free materials. The most we have invested in it is the time and the cost of the chicken wire. It has been a happy and productive year for us.

To Do in 2009

1.) Better garden, we are selecting various seeds (trying mostly for heirloom veggies), companion planting and using a "lasagna garden" method for one area. Our original garden happened to be beside of a Black Walnut tree. I had no idea that so many plants were effected negatively by this tree. I am hoping we will be better organized and that our garden will be more productive this year.
2.) Getting meat rabbits. I am hoping that we will accomplish this before the end of January! I want one buck and two does. Now to get my Fiance on the move building the cages! This is more my project than his...
3.) I would like to read up on bees and get a hive or two going. This is also my project more than his. I love honey and it is so expensive to buy these days. I would like to learn on my own and have my own to use.
4.) Dwarf Nigerian Goats- We both want goats. I want to use the milk for consumption as well as for making soaps.
5.) Feeder pigs in the Spring. We want to get two for the Spring time. I am hoping that goes well.
6.) Planting berry bushes and fruit trees.

That is our goals for the year of 2009. If we accomplish at least 1/2 of these I will be very happy! ;D

What about everyone else? What did you accomplish, try, fail at, learn from and what do you plan to do for 2009?

·
Registered
283 Posts
We also did well in 2008, our garden did much better. We got the thermal bank working, all the window in, a couple of cords of wood for winter, and started making a lot of our own groceries (thus growing a lot of the core ingredients, and cutting back on the grocery list) I've made things with bean flour (which I can grow the beans) pasta, crackers, chips, cheese, pancake mix, maple syrup etc.

For 2009, we (I) want to...
Keep working on making my own groceries
get a good homemade pet food
clear a good, year round path to the water (we live on a river, but it's hard to get to)
I want to touch everyting in my house - clean it, find a home for it, use it, or get rid of it.
I want to use my time better, get more things done, I have projects that I have started and not finished, things I'd like to start, things to keep up on. 2008 I felt like I was always behind, not getting things done. I'm thinking I'm going to have a monthly list...have so many groceries made, do one project, that type of thing.

That's where I'm heading in 2009.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Doubled the solar panels, harvested grapes, got a grain grinder, joined a food co-op, put in hydroponics for lettuce and tomatoes, got a pair of geese to do the lawn care in the back yard and they are doing rather well at eating grass. Planted some fruit trees, had a pretty good garden although the chickens got more than their share. Did well with the pig trap and selling baby chicks from eggs we incubated. It's been a good year, things are getting more comfortable.

Next year there is supposed to be a new Farmer's Market in the next village over. We are looking to expand our production of various things and have a market for the extras.

·
Mountaineers are free
945 Posts
Also adding meat rabbits, hopefully January also.
Hatch more eggs, and expand the chicken operation.
Get our fruit orchard up and running, planting new trees
Expand the Strawberry beds.
Planting a hillside in blackberries
Adding Nubian Goats for our dairy needs
Trying to figure out what to grow besides corn and sunflowers to create my own chicken feed mix.
Adding a hand pump to our deep well, thus making the Big Berkey's job easier.
Building a smaller more efficient Micro House.

Plus the other 100 things I haven't thought of yet :)

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Last year was a year that we did our best not to go backwards. If it could go sideways on you it did.

Now with that behind us...

Be a better father/husband
Increase cattle herd
Increase fencing
Improve pastures
Replace barn cleaner
Replace siding
Dig up selected spots in septic system and replace shoddy job installer did.

Catch more fish
Shoot more pheasants
Shoot more deer
More miles on snowmobiles
Read more books

And fix that hole in the drywall that I have been hearing about for the past few years now.

·
proud GRAMMA
2,261 Posts
Increase our cattle,pigs
get a few goats for milk,soap,cheese, and pasture clearing
rabbits for meat
chicken for eggs
meat birds, and turkeys
get the horses bomb proof so they start making money
Have a bigger garden,, several in fact
dig a new well and re route the water that seem to flow into the driveway yr around
build a pole barn for equipment
build a new barn and pasture area for horses
plant berry bushes
get bees
build a smoker
finish remodeling the house
fix farm truck
and take time to smell the roses i dont have planted yet
dig a root cellar
put more away for winter
get all the wood done before hay season

·
Rebelicious
574 Posts
Well folks 2008 was a very good year for us. We moved to a new place with ten acres of land in February. Our garden flopped but we did gather plenty of wild black berries and black walnuts for the year. We got a pair of Pekin ducks that are very happy together. We accomplished building our Chicken Condo out of almost 100% free materials. The most we have invested in it is the time and the cost of the chicken wire. It has been a happy and productive year for us.

To Do in 2009

1.) Better garden, we are selecting various seeds (trying mostly for heirloom veggies), companion planting and using a "lasagna garden" method for one area. Our original garden happened to be beside of a Black Walnut tree. I had no idea that so many plants were effected negatively by this tree. I am hoping we will be better organized and that our garden will be more productive this year.
2.) Getting meat rabbits. I am hoping that we will accomplish this before the end of January! I want one buck and two does. Now to get my Fiance on the move building the cages! This is more my project than his...
3.) I would like to read up on bees and get a hive or two going. This is also my project more than his. I love honey and it is so expensive to buy these days. I would like to learn on my own and have my own to use.
4.) Dwarf Nigerian Goats- We both want goats. I want to use the milk for consumption as well as for making soaps.
5.) Feeder pigs in the Spring. We want to get two for the Spring time. I am hoping that goes well.
6.) Planting berry bushes and fruit trees.

That is our goals for the year of 2009. If we accomplish at least 1/2 of these I will be very happy! ;D

What about everyone else? What did you accomplish, try, fail at, learn from and what do you plan to do for 2009?
If you look on www.lejeuneyardsales.com the breeder I got my Nigerians from is selling them. She has very nice stock, and some have blue eyes. Her prices are not bad either.

I just got 3 feeder pigs on Christmas Eve. Let me give you a hint...build your pen very sturdy and make the bottom very tight or in the ground. Also. they like to jump! I spent the day after Christmas hunting down my female, and ended up at the animal control building claiming her. If they can find a way out, they will. And I had plenty of food and water for them, so that wasn't the problem. We now have a 100 foot pen that we hope is secure enough for them, and it's 48" tall. Live and learn!

·
Rebelicious
574 Posts
In 2008
Animals added: 1 turkey, 2 dozen various chickens, 4 ducks, 2 rabbits, 4 goats (2 boers, 2 nigerians), 3 feeder pigs

Enlarged garden area, cleared out land for fruit trees and grapes. We planted 2 apple, 2 peach, 2 pecans.

Learned to use a pressure canner. Bought meat grinder and slicer, smoker for meats.

For 2009:

Pray for a good garden this year! (it flopped last year, so now we have the pigs tilling it up and are bringing in 2-3 truck loads of manure)

Plant more fruit trees: 2 apple, 1 crab apple, 3-4 cherry, grape vines, rhubarb.

Built a better shelter and pen for the goats int he back of the property.

Fence in the entire garden area, so I can rotate the animals in the winter to till and fertilize the garden.

Get a dozen more chickens, a dozen more ducks, 3-4 turkeys, fiber animals - either rabbits or goats.

Can more food, learn to use dehydrator better.

Build a large barn or garage.

Theres more but this is the most important ones so far.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you look on www.lejeuneyardsales.com the breeder I got my Nigerians from is selling them. She has very nice stock, and some have blue eyes. Her prices are not bad either.

I have checked out her site and she does seem to have some great stock. I would love to go ahead and get them right now but we are no where near prepared for them. That is going to be more of a summer/fall thing unless something happens and they just drop in our laps and we are forced to build them a barn and fencing. LOL!

I just got 3 feeder pigs on Christmas Eve. Let me give you a hint...build your pen very sturdy and make the bottom very tight or in the ground. Also. they like to jump! I spent the day after Christmas hunting down my female, and ended up at the animal control building claiming her. If they can find a way out, they will. And I had plenty of food and water for them, so that wasn't the problem. We now have a 100 foot pen that we hope is secure enough for them, and it's 48" tall. Live and learn!
Oh gosh it sounds as if you had quite a time with them! I hope that does not happen to you again. Did you have to pay any sort of fine or anything when you picked her up? We are trying to do things on a scheduled basis. Making sure that we have everything in place and sturdy before we tackle any animals.

·
Premium Member
7,215 Posts
I started the year with two goats, but ended with 5 goats, 5 cows, and one donkey. A new 40x40 barn with a hay loft was built (still working on some trim), and it is filled with hay from two fields we (my brother and I) were given to use. A garden spot has been cleared, and it has rye on it for a Winter cover crop. I painted the house, which is not exactly a big plus from an overall homestead perspective, but it was necessary and took several weeks.

For 2009, I'd like to have some type of garden, clear and plant more pasture, finish the orchard, start some blueberries, and paint the garage and barn. If the drought in our part of the country continues, I'll try to expand the "water hole" we built last year to insure a steady supply of water for the animals. I have the metal roofing and utility poles on site for a new barn. It was originally planned for an equipment shed, but I think we may now use it for storage of large, round hay bales. We'll do some square bales for market, but use the round bales for feeding the stock on site.

Hope everyone has a great 2009.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts