Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With 50 gal tanks...5 - 6 hp engines...either a pull behind or a skid sprayer..Have 200 red cedar that I'm paying too

much to professional sprayers to kill bagworms..Just got done using my powerful 15 gal fimco...2.1 gal/min

to spray around 60 trees..Need something like the pros, with enough power to get the whole tree, from one

side...northstar has some..fimco..enduraplas has a

50 Gallon Roller 3 Point Land Champ Tractor Sprayer...3 point hookup...pto driven...Don't

know if the 8n would fit...

Anyone use these ??

·
Uncertified Master Chief Village Idiot
1,958 Posts
I have run 50 gallon 3pt sprayers behind Ferguson 35's and 240's, 8ns, 9ns, and more others than I care to count.

I'd say it will do the job, but it's not going to be as satisfactory as a skid sprayer with a stand alone engine in my opinion. Part of it depends on your terrain and tree spacing. I will say, though, I've never complained about having too powerful of a sprayer (gpm/psi wise)...you can always dial it down, but you can never dial up one that's too weak. Get more than what you "think" you need and you won't be disappointed, at least in my opinion.

The trailer type fogging sprayers are the "bees knees" for trees around here, but they're pricey even used and you'll need a ton of safety gear (or a cab) to not get coated yourself!

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
I have a 60 gallon PTO one for the JD 990. I'm getting two 15 to 20 gallon ones tomorrow for the ATV,s..

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have run 50 gallon 3pt sprayers behind Ferguson 35's and 240's, 8ns, 9ns, and more others than I care to count.

I'd say it will do the job, but it's not going to be as satisfactory as a skid sprayer with a stand alone engine in my opinion. Part of it depends on your terrain and tree spacing. I will say, though, I've never complained about having too powerful of a sprayer (gpm/psi wise)...you can always dial it down, but you can never dial up one that's too weak. Get more than what you "think" you need and you won't be disappointed, at least in my opinion.

The trailer type fogging sprayers are the "bees knees" for trees around here, but they're pricey even used and you'll need a ton of safety gear (or a cab) to not get coated yourself!
Do you have to keep the tractor revved up to get the proper psi?

·
1,958 Posts
Do you have to keep the tractor revved up to get the proper psi?
In my experience a lot of that depends on the pump vs what you're doing. If you're asking a pump to give 100% of capacity then yes. If you're not, then I have run them even at an idle. Spraying trees, though, you definitely going to need some pressure.

If you're electric sprayer pump is satisfactory, you can always go with an electric pump for the 3 pt. They make much higher gpm electric pumps if you want to go that route. Course then you have to keep a battery charged to keep it running...

All comes down to how much you want to spend.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In my experience a lot of that depends on the pump vs what you're doing. If you're asking a pump to give 100% of capacity then yes. If you're not, then I have run them even at an idle. Spraying trees, though, you definitely going to need some pressure.

If you're electric sprayer pump is satisfactory, you can always go with an electric pump for the 3 pt. They make much higher gpm electric pumps if you want to go that route. Course then you have to keep a battery charged to keep it running...

All comes down to how much you want to spend.
What would you suggest ...gmp and psi to be able to spray through the cedar and take out the bag worms on the opp

side?

·
1,958 Posts
What would you suggest ...gmp and psi to be able to spray through the cedar and take out the bag worms on the opp

side?
Hard to give you an answer, but I'll give it a shot. Lot of variables here.

Assuming we're talking about 25-30 ft tall trees (just taking a guess here based on what I've worked with before), I think you could get by with a standard "roller" PTO driven pump which is going to give you 7-10 gpm capacity at up to 150 psi-ish (again, can be tweaked with pressure relief and bypass). Most of your electric pumps are going to be limited to the 60-70 psi range, but I'd personally look for something at least 4gpm if I was going electric.

And to be honest I am not sure anything but a specialized air blast sprayer is really going to get both sides at the same time...and it may even not do a good job.

Lot of variables though. Have you got a local extension office who could give you some localized info? Farm supply store?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hard to give you an answer, but I'll give it a shot. Lot of variables here.

Assuming we're talking about 25-30 ft tall trees (just taking a guess here based on what I've worked with before), I think you could get by with a standard "roller" PTO driven pump which is going to give you 7-10 gpm capacity at up to 150 psi-ish (again, can be tweaked with pressure relief and bypass). Most of your electric pumps are going to be limited to the 60-70 psi range, but I'd personally look for something at least 4gpm if I was going electric.

And to be honest I am not sure anything but a specialized air blast sprayer is really going to get both sides at the same time...and it may even not do a good job.

Lot of variables though. Have you got a local extension office who could give you some localized info? Farm supply store?
Good info..thanks..Crehberg...I haven't asked outside of this forum...I will probably give the guy at preferred pest control a call later on..He was the one that sprayed june..18....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts