Looking at next year getting some fryer pigs..

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by GoldenWood Farm, Nov 17, 2004.

1. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

Hi I am looking at next year raising out some fryer pigs. Just 2...I am planning on raising them on a all goats milk diet. A friend of mine does this and those pigs grow big and fast! My question is how easy are pigs to raise...what kind of area do they need to live in? Do they need lots of shelter? How big of a area do 2 pigs need to live in? I would get them as youngins...how old do they have to be before butchering? Thanx!!

MotherClucker

2. highlands

highlands Walter Jeffries Staff Member Supporter

Pigs are very easy. We train ours to electric fencing in a garden corral and then have them out on pasture during the warm months until snow makes that impractical.

They need a minimum of shelter. Most of the time in the warm months they seem to prefer sleeping in the open outside my window. They snore a little. :) For farrowing I made nice dens but two of them chose to nest out in the brush in the fields. For winter they use the dens or three side shed with haybale walls. You can see one at this link: http://hollygraphicart.com/misc/haybalecoop2.html

According to the books, if you're pen raising them they need about 20 sq ft per pig. Personally I find that rather small. I prefer keeping ours out on pasture where they spread their own manure, stay a lot cleaner and graze improving the pasture.

They need some bedding area and free access to water. After that, plenty of feed to make sure they grow as quickly as possible.

They're typically ready to butcher at five to six months depending on what size you're aiming for. Market weight is generally considered to be 200 to 220 lbs.

Cheers,

-Walter
    Sugar Mtn Farm
    in Vermont

3. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

I suggest a pasture with supplements of that milk, but if it was me, I'd just pasture the pigs and make goat milk cheese for myself

4. DreamingBig

DreamingBig Well-Known Member

Dumb question, but what's a fryer pig?

5. Horace Baker

Horace Baker Well-Known Member

I was also wondering. Is it like a suckling pig?