~~**Looking 4 Hay In WNY**~~

Discussion in 'Goats' started by goatladie, May 30, 2006.

1. goatladie

goatladie JustALittleGoatCrazy....

Hi, I am looking for hay in NY for my goats.... can't seem to find someone selling hay, hopefully this year we will be able to find a "hay guy."

It is for my goats, I would prefer alfalfa, delivery great, but might be able to work out picking it up - really need to hear from any at this point....

I am in southern WNY, but can travel some - ALL you NY goatie lovers, please let me know if you have any contact numbers or know of someone selling, thanks so much!~

2. tltater

tltater Well-Known Member

I have been looking for alfalfa hay since I started with my goats 3 years ago and the closest was Buffalo. Not interested financially to travel that far for hay. I am in the looking for hay dilema myself. I have a couple of leads but haven't been able to get ahold of them yet. Where are you? We are in Bolivar and if we find any and your are close(of course it won't be alfalfa) we'll let ya know.

Good luck!

Tracy
    Southwestern, NY

3. goatladie

goatladie JustALittleGoatCrazy....

Thanks Tracy...
    I am in Arcade, NY so Buffalo and surrounding areas isn't that far -
    we are right on the "corner" of Wyoming, Cattarugus, and Erie County.
    I had a farmer we got hay through last year, but that was when we had a bigger vehicle to transport it (in Rushford) really nice alfalfa! And the first lady we got ours through was just outside of Warsaw, very nice as well, but they don't make as much and we were at the low end of the totem pole :(

4. tltater

tltater Well-Known Member

Have you considered going to the Springville Auction? Alot of times they have hay there this time of the year and you can get it at a decent price as long as there aren't a ton of people looking for hay! I have bought it there a couple of times and learned to lift the bales and smell the hay closely. The first bunch was very dusty. No mold or anything but dusty and the bales were very light. The second time we got some real nice hay for $1.00 a bale. If you can get to the auction by noon today, that is when they auction off the hay.

As far as the alfalfa in Buffalo, there was someone on here that told me about it. Hopefully they will join in and let you know where.

Tracy
    Southwester, NY