Lookie What I got!!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by TxCloverAngel, Jul 13, 2005.

1. TxCloverAngel

TxCloverAngel Happiness is Homemade

Lookie what I got!!!

Daffodil & Daisy! They are 11 week old bottle-fed pygmy girls! (Yes, I’m still planning on getting my Mini Lamanchas in a few months, but wanted to get my feet wet w/ a few pet babies first.

So far they are doing GREAT! But of course I do have a few questions… They were not disbudded… is it too late to have it done? I am not so worried about them, but my Lamanchas will be and I don’t want to risk these girls hurting them. Whatcha think?

Any info for a new mommy would be great! Thanks
    [​IMG] Daisy
    [​IMG] Daffodil
    [​IMG]
    Thanks for the post on how to get these darn photos in my msg MotherClucker... I was at a loss!

2. trixiwick

trixiwick bunny slave

Ohhh, they are gorgeous! I SOOOOO wish we had had some girls this year, there is NOTHING more fun than a pygmy doeling.

I think you can get goats disbudded at any point, but it is a pretty painful process after babyhood. I might consider letting them keep their horns, as it might help them stand up to their bigger pasture-mates. There have been several threads about the pros and cons recently on this board, so see what you think.

Enjoy your girls! They are beautiful, and I love the names.

3. trappmountain

trappmountain Well-Known Member

They are absolutely adorable!!! I have a doe and a wether. I am really enjoying them. They have different personalities and really love the family. Enjoy your babies. Mine are growing up too fast for me. Just like the human kids.

4. TxCloverAngel

They are darling.
    I think I remember reading somewhere that you can go to the vet and have their horns frozen or something that stops them from continuing to grow? I think the little nubs they have now r cute enough. Is there such a procedure? or am I having a brain fart (as my 13 yr old would say)?

They have soooo much energy!! I used to think there was nothing on earth that could outlast my boys...... look who gave out and who is still goin strong after their romp

[​IMG]

5. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member Supporter

Those are the cutest goats!!!!!!!! I wish had some.

6. trappmountain

trappmountain Well-Known Member

I don't know much about the horn freezing. Call the vet and ask. I got mine at auction and they were already disbudded. My goats also wear out my kids. Mine are teenagers tho and I don't know whether they wear them out or the kids just get tired of watching them! LOL!!!

I've only had them a few months and have fallen totally in love with them!!! They are so CUTE!!!

7. dale anne

dale anne Well-Known Member

congrats they are beautiful!...in the past week and a half we have had 2 bucklings and 2 doelings born...1 doeling passed away the same day...I found her on the ground still in her bag...I tried to save her but i reckon i didnt get to her soon enough...I sure wish i could post pics on here...can send ya some on email if ya want....the pygmys ya have are sooo pretty i love the colors...I am looking to add to my herd and would love to find colors like that....as for the disbudding bottle fed babies seem to be pretty gentle and if you are going to put them in with bigger goats I would leave them during rutting season the bigger goats will harrass yer smaller goats and atleast with the horns they can give them a good shove but doubt they would hurt them....dale anne

8. TxCloverAngel

you have a PM Dale Anne.

9. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

We are not having our one month baby goat disbudded but are having him made into a wether by the VET when he is nearly three months old....folks are waiting longer to do that now so that the goat's urinary tract is more mature....just like they're recommending waiting in dogs and cats....

Our Billy (this baby's dad) weighs about 250 and he still has his horns. I am very very careful around him but have had no problems. And with pygmies I don't think you will. (Ours are Boers and Nubians)

10. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

They are so cute. We have a Daisy also. I love their names. My goats have their horns. My buck (got rid of him), got aggressive when he was wanting the companionship of his ladies and couldn't get to them. He knocked me down once and I put a for sale ad in the Farmer's Market Bulletin. He did it again the day a man called to buy him. I had said that if he did it again, it was in the freezer for him. I won't rish being hurt by an animal of mine. But he was a big Nubian. My girls horns don't grow very big and they are gentle sweethearts. You do have to mindful that you don't get bumped by mistake because it does hurt and makes a bruise. :baby04:

11. tltater

tltater Well-Known Member

Those goats are sooooo cute! Congratulations on your new goat ownership! My 14yr old daughter thinks they are cute too...she would also like to know about your son in the picture with the goats...LOL! Yeah...this age is horrible with girls....so boy crazy....drives me nuts sometimes!

Tracy
    Southwestern, NY

12. TxCloverAngel

well thank you about the goats. and as for my son..... lol well yes I agree about this age driving you nuts! That one is Craig. Beautiful brown / hazel eyes, dark thick curly hair, gonna be very tall, etc etc etc... and in about 10 years she is welcome to him! lol He is the first of 4 boys.... Oh and he wants to see a pic of your daughter.. lol shall we start a dating service? lol off topic maybe? lol oh well we moms can do what we want hehehe

13. Ellie5

Ellie5 Well-Known Member

love the colors! Congrats!

14. Kazahleenah

Kazahleenah Disgruntled citizen

I love the colors!!! I had a goat looked like that... ."Daisy"... gawd, I miss my goaties!!!!

Kaza

15. okgoatgal2

okgoatgal2 Well-Known Member

if the horns are still short (1" or less) it is possible to successfully disbud them. since you are getting minimanchas and they aren't much larger than the pygmies, i would go ahead and disbud them, but i am totally against horns, as i've written many times. it's not pretty, but i believe it is a good thing to do.