Look what we did today.

Discussion in 'Beekeeping' started by Ol'Reb, Dec 17, 2006.

1. Ol'Reb

Ol'Reb aka Mr T-Bone

My wife(ChickenMom) and me went to Shreveport to a house that is fixing to be tore down and brought this home with us... This was my first removal, I've done several swarm captures, but this was the first time I went into a wall after them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We pulled about 150# of honey and comb out of the walls, and caught most of the bees, I don't know if we caught the queen or not though. If I can find the queen we should have a good productive colony out of this capture.

We started extracting the honey this evening, but I think the rest of it can wait till tomorrow.

BTW, this was ChickenMom's first time of getting in there and really helping with all of the bees buzzing around. She did great and only got stung twice, looks like I got an assistant apiculturalist now.

2. alleyyooper

alleyyooper keeper of the bees Staff Member Supporter

Congrats on the bee removal job.
    Also Congrats on finding that special some one to be a helper in the bee yard.
    I love mine.

:D Al

3. sleeps723

sleeps723 Well-Known Member

man thats so kool, wish i coulda done that

4. Ol'Reb

Ol'Reb aka Mr T-Bone

Well this evening inspection of the hive showed no queen present. also the comb we brought home has a terrible SHB infestation so, I'm gonna have to watch my hives close this next year.
    It figures, you do all you can to be careful and avoid all of these new pests and old diseases, and end up bringing them to your place yourself.... Grrrrrrr!!!!!

5. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

I know what you mean by the pests. This was my first year beekeeping, and as far as I know, there are no other beekeepers within 20 miles of me, but they still managed to get mites !! Also the weather was not too co-operative as far as the bees were concerned. I had no honey to harvest, & had to feed like mad to get them ready for winter.

Not sure if they'll make it to spring, there is still a small mite load, even after treating with mite away in Oct., and it's been warm enough for them to be slightly active, I may have to feed them again.

6. alleyyooper

alleyyooper keeper of the bees Staff Member Supporter

We have a out yard we use as a clearing house for the bees we remove from places as well as the swarms we get.
    Keeping these bees seperate from any of our healthy hives asures no pest or orther stuff gets in our healthy yards.
    Doesn't matter how far away other bee keepers are from you. Mites are a fact of life in the US and Canada now. They come on package bees, as well as nucs. I have heard of no controls that kill the mites 100%. Shoot they are so tiny ya can't see them on the bees them self unless your really lucky or have better than advrage eyes.

:D Al

7. dcross

dcross Well-Known Member Supporter

<<also the comb we brought home has a terrible SHB infestation so, I'm gonna have to watch my hives close this next year.>>

Use pieces of cardboard on the bottom board to lure them and then burn it. Though I would guess they would have plenty of hiding places in a disrupted hive like that.