Look what we did today!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Paula, Aug 17, 2006.

1. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

We're close to being able to move to our bigger farm, but at the last minute decided to get rid of the yucky carpet and lay Costco laminated flooring. We got one of the bedrooms done today. Still have the trim work to do, but I am SO happy with the floor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate

I really like that.... was it hard to do? I've thought maybe doing my now carpeted floors in something like that in the next year.

Angie

3. Rockin'B

Rockin'B Well-Known Member

Looks great!

We did the same thing when we were fixing up our house to sell.

I think it makes a huge difference and I'll bet adds value to your home.

4. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

It was pretty easy. The rest of the house should go in more quickly because we have a little experience now.

5. UncleTom

UncleTom Well-Known Member

Was that antique oak by anychance? We just did our kitchen and really like it. It was easy to do and i am not a wood worker by anymeans.

6. BellsBunnies

BellsBunnies Well-Known Member

7. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

Yep. We're going to do the kitchen too. I'm a little worried dh will spill water or something on it and not notice (makes it swell up) but we'll see.

8. Lizza

Lizza Well-Known Member Supporter

we laid the same stuff down in every room of the house before we sold. I think it really helped to sell it quickly.

9. hengal

hengal Well-Known Member

Isn't that great stuff? DH laid that in our kitchen and small office last year. We love it. Great look for a fraction of the price. :)

10. Ramblin Wreck

Ramblin Wreck Well-Known Member Supporter

11. frazzlehead

frazzlehead AppleJackCreek Supporter

OH, nice work!

And don't worry about a little water. I lived with laminate and a small kid for several years ... never had any problems. :)

Good job!

12. Macybaby

Macybaby I love South Dakota Supporter

Paula,

After about a year, we are pulling the laminate off the kithcen floor. Too much problem with water(ice, snow, and whatever else may get spilled or tracked in from outside) and not noticing until it's a problem.

Love the floor, but we'll be replacing it with vinyl and putting the laminate in an upstairs room where it won't be a problem.

We had laminate in our kitchen in our last house, but it was glued not the "click strip" and never had a problem, but the water could not seep into the cracks.

I love the floor, and it was so easy to put down, but we've already got areas where it is lifting (in front of fridge, sink). When we lost power for several days, the fridge "peed" on the floor and we had a real mess come morning. Then one time I spilled a large kettle of water, and by the time I got it all up, it was already a problem. You really do need to wipe up spills ASAP, and you just can't get 8 gallons of water mopped up that fast (even with two adults working at it).

Click Fit laminate in the kitchen has just turned out not to be practicle for our lifestyle.

Cathy

13. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

Maybe it depends on the brand you use. We put in the click together laminate throughout, including the kitchen, and do not have a problem.

Your floors look lovely.

14. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

Looks beautiful!

We've installed Pergo and hardwood at various times in our home ownership. Makes my back and knees hurt just to look at your photos but it sure is pretty.

We used those 12" self-stick vinyl tiles in the kitchen with no problems. They're super tough, too - stood up to a huge dog, the kids, chairs, etc.

15. suitcase_sally

suitcase_sally Well-Known Member Supporter

Looks good. We put it in the spare bedroom and it is pretty. The only down side is itis COLD on bare feet. Did I say COLD? DAMN COLD!

16. annethcz

annethcz Well-Known Member

Looks good! We pulled up the old yucky carpet in our dining room, and put down laminate similar to yours. It was pretty easy to install, and still looks nice after 4 years.