Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The moral of this story is that free pets are the most expensive pets of all.

After my MIL passed, DH was given a 100% FREE poly-dactyl (6-toed) kitten by his parent's neighbors. The kitten is gorgeous and is the single most expensive pet I think I have ever had. Of course, he didn't have any medical visits prior to us having him so over the last 8 months we've had to:

- Do all the vaccines
- Do all the kitten wellness checks
- Neuter
- Take care of a case of tapeworms
- Remove two of the "extra" claws that were growing into the pads of his feet

And NOW, he's getting older and absolutely has a strong kill instinct so we put him outside (after he tore up TWO WALLS in the house which both still need to be repaired). He's turned into a crazy mouser (which is good) and is getting into fights with the neighbor cats (which is bad). He got bit, got an abscess along his spine (why couldn't he have gotten bit like... anywhere else??) and so he's in for surgery because the abscess won't drain and got infected.

We're into this free kitten about $1,200 and two shredded interior now. I wish I had bought half a hog instead.

Note: I am sorry for this rant. I just had to get it out and can't complain to my husband, or to Facebook where the family who so generously gave us this kitten might see it.

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
I feel for you. I really do. I have had a lot of drop off kittens and cats in the last year or two, I can find homes easy for young kittens 6-8 weeks but the older ones not so much. I got rabies done, and spaying from the trap neuter release program. spaying cost $198 So today I wormed everyone not really knowing how many I really have hanging around, when asked I tell people I have 3 cats and I do no lie I just dont count the drop offs or strays. BECAUSE when I did this morning I counted 11. But dont tell anyone because I only have 3!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha - my grandparents had that same problem.

I woke up with a jolt 20 minutes ago thinking someone was breaking into the house. Nope, its just the cat destroying my laundry room. Guess the sedatives wore off.

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
Haha - my grandparents had that same problem.

I woke up with a jolt 20 minutes ago thinking someone was breaking into the house. Nope, its just the cat destroying my laundry room. Guess the sedatives wore off.
My mom was given a kitten for Christmas a couple years ago by some well meaning family members. The kitten was 3 months old and wild as could be. She destroyed blinds, shower curtains, carpets, and doors. My mother was furious, but kept the cat anyway. Now, as an adult, the kitty has calmed down very nicely and is a good girl. She was spayed young, that didn't affect her behavior issue at all! She had to mature to behave.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am sure he'll be a great cat someday. And he will keep us rodent free for a good long time. I just don't know how we'll all survive with him long enough to get there. Lol!

I told DH that next time, we'll get another young adult cat from the shelter during their $10 cat days. That's worked great for us in the past. No more kittens for me.

·
Registered
39 Posts
-snorts- Free cats are ALWAYS the most freaking ridiculous. My shelter kitty only had a small infestation of coccidia (from the icky pound, of course) and was treated and woohoo, he has been fine ever since. No vet visits needed or anything. However, hubby brought home a free Manx girl and she was absolutely a nightmare. We spent SOMUCH on this cat, who had blood worms and tapeworms and everything else in the world, and then she decided to start marking her territory in our clean-clothes-hamper so hubby put her on craigslist, and we may have found her original owners who took her home...for free. Then our little orphan baby had a growth deficiency so we spent tons and tons on him as well. Luckily, ever since he got over 3 pounds he has been doing pretty well. But he still has something wrong with his eye, we're thinking cataracts, so we'll see what the vet thinks when they go back for their rabies. We've spent probably 2k on just those two kitties. -.- Good thing it isn't about the money though, eh? :gaptooth:

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, a very good thing! It just amazes me that this little ball of fluff has been as expensive as my vet bills when I had a horse. Gah! I wish the bills could be prorated based on weight or something.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Parvo is rough! Glad to hear your pup pulled through.

We have been spoiled, I guess. The last two cats we had showed up unannounced and didn't require any medical care aside from rabies shots and deworming until they were getting ready to pass away. I don't think this kitten will ever be that way.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts