Look at me... "I saved a pup from death!" Yeah right!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Wingdo, Jul 12, 2006.

1. Wingdo

Wingdo Well-Known Member Supporter

I just came from Petfinder...

You know... I don't mind helping folks out with the costs they incured keeping pups until they find a good home for them, but I'm about sick of some animal shelters!

These folks say some of these pups are being saved from the needle (playing on your heart strings), but come on... $250 dollars for an "adoption" fee, for a curr! That's insane!

Are they looking for folks that are making a good living, or for folks that will give the pups a good home? One isn't necessarily based on the other!

I used to make a very good living, but life isn't always fair and my body gave out before I was ready for the grave! Regardless of this, I can tell you for a fact, my dogs, regardless of how much money I had at any given time, were always treated better than what I've seen in 99% of the homes I've ever visited!

The they hit me with the argument, "Well if you can't afford this amount of money to adopt our pups, then you can't properly care for it to begin with!"

Well in their ear is all I can say!

If I wanted to spend that much of my pathetic Social in-Security budget on a pup, that might or might not work out, I'd get a middle of the road pure bred from a reputable breeder... which I'm seriously considering doing at this point!

What is wrong with these people that profess to "doing good for the poor animals," and turn around and try to make $2000 off a litter of currs?

... and I'm not sorry for the rant in the least!

Wing

2. Faithful Heart

Faithful Heart Well-Known Member

Well Wing, you're entitled to your rant, and I'll let you..... with no problems. :) $250 does seem a bit high for a shelter dog, but I also don't know the circumstances that the shelter had/has to deal with. I personally use to work at a shelter, and believe me, it ain't cheap taking care of all those animals.

Our adoption fee was $85 for dogs, and $60 for cats. All that covered was the spay/neuter & vaccinations. Some animals cost more than that - large dogs were over $100 to have spayed. Then some animals cost less than that - male cats cost us $30 to neuter. But the cost was an average rounded number. The rest of the cost for the animal had to be covered by donations...... food while trying to find a home, medications, or vet bills for broken bones or hernias in babies, the light bill, the phone bill. The employees pay was almost covered by the city, but all I made was $240 a week salary, working anywhere from 50-65 hours a week. And we really worked our butts off..... none of that money was wasted. We took volunteer help too. All we could get! Plus, the city often sent us young kids that had community service to perform.

We relied on donations SO much. We were always needing something and being forced to beg for it. Whether it was more blankets (old one's we'd cut up and sew the edges on), or collars & leashes, or laundry soap. I remember times that I bought the toilet paper and paper towels we needed for 2 months because we were so broke, and every other employee (had a staff of 4) was buying what they could also of what we needed. We also had to get a bunch of food on credit until some donations came in. We went through about 150 pounds of dog food a day, so that bill really added up.

There was no "profit"..... that's why they're called a non-profit. Somehow, by the grace of God we squeeked by. But we also had many people that felt $85 was too much to pay for a dog. I couldn't help but have it anger me. I personally knew you couldn't go out and get a dog (or cat for that matter) fixed and vaccinated for that cheap in that area. I had taken in 2 cats, a mother and son, that I found at the dump and it cost me $200 DISCOUNTED to get them fixed and vaccinated.

Oh.... and just so you know..... the Humane Society or America does NOT give money to shelters. They sell teaching papers, at a discount, if you want them. Stuff about puppy care, or why to spay and neuter. The Humane Society is a "teaching" entity - for teaching the public .... not an animal rescue agency.

I don't fully know what the answer is Wing. There were times I felt we were too strict on our rules for adopting, and times I felt we weren't strict enough. We really did want every animal to have a chance, and that just wasn't possible. That job was the most heart wrenching yet rewarding jobs I'd ever had, and believe I ever will have. Those shelter workers are only doing the best they can. Trying very hard to find loving homes.

And you even said it yourself...... that MOST people do not care for their animals the way you do. Well there are many out there that barely care for their animal at all. I've seen the full spectrum of those homes, and I'd say about 25% of the homes with animals actually do give the animals what they need, or most of what they need. Those are people like all of us on this forum, people who enjoy our animals, love to share stories about them as if they were our children, and want to learn more about how to take care of them. But we're a small percentage of the animal owners out there. People like us on this forum probably fit into about 10% of all animal owners - or less.

Think of it this way Wing...... when you adopt from a shelter, you DO save a life. Actually MANY lives! Each shelter only has so much space, and if the kennels are full, there's no way to save another one. But for each animal that gets adopted, another animals gets a chance because of the kennel space now available. Supporting a breeder is not the answer. And don't get me wrong..... I'm not fully against breeders. I have friends that breed dogs, and I can see things from their postion. What I am fully against is irresponsible breeding - unplanned breeding - mutt to mutt stuff. I say..... if you have no intention on breeding, have the dang animal FIXED! :hobbyhors And if you do plan on breeding, be responsible about it.

I'm done.

3. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

To my understanding, a Rescue is different from a Shelter or a Pound. Wing must be speaking of a Rescue. Shelters and Pounds don't charge $250 per adoption. They charge what you stated Beth. Pounds are usually subsidized by the local govt. so an adoption feed of $65 (in my area) doesn't reflect the actual cost of caring for, vacinating, and altering the animal but the rest is paid for with tax dollars. Shelters and Rescues are private organizations running on donations and trying to come in even at the end of the fiscal year. Shelters, like the Humane Societies in many counties, don't charge $250 that I know of. That price tag is a Rescue price tag. I've seen Rescue fees of $450 per dog with some breeds. The idea being that each adoption fee goes toward the rescue of other dogs and that some dogs come with very heavy medical costs that must be covered by all adoptions. I don't qualify to adopt form Rescues because I don't neuter my one male dog used for protection. The way I see it, a dog at a no kill shelter or Rescue is safe so I don't bother with them anymore. I can adopt from a pound, pay a modest price, save a dog, and no one will care that I keep one blessed in tact male (which doens't breed anyway).
    Wingdo, you can put yourself on a list at most Pounds for a specific breed. That would be better imo than buying a less expensive dog from a breeder. Very few breeds form responsible breeders are $250 or less anymore.

4. Terry W

Terry W Duchess of Cynicism

Be aware-- at least locally here, the 'Humane Society, and the "dog pound, are run by people who cannot tell one breed from another. If the dog is black with tan poionts-- it is a "rott mix' or 'dobie mix' who cares if from all angles and behaviours it is a Manchester terrier? They assume any racy looking dog is a grwyhound mix--I saw one mix supposedly a greyhound/lab mix-- defineitely a sighthound-- but most likely a saluki- judgiong ftom the fringes evident in ALL the correct places!

yes, 2501 bucks sounds like a 'rescue' price-- and theere ARE mutt rescues! The people that run them can be just as snobby as the pure breed rescues. One rescue org here-- refused to return a dog to its breeder!! the breeder found out the powner had died, and asked the family about the dog-- 'oh, we took it to rescue' this is a breeder with a no questions asked, return to breeder policy!!! Ther escue refused to return the dog to HER becvause she weas 'part of the problem' Huh? I've knownm the lady for 25 years-- she has NEVER refused to take back one of her offspring!!! In fact, she often has homes waiting for anything that may come back that will 'fit in' with the needs!

now, how do [people feel about getting rescued farm animals? Say goats, pigs, donkeys, etc? their fees are remarkably low considering the specialized care those animals need!

5. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

The paperwork anymore is awful. It's easier to adopt a baby than to adopt a pet from a shelter. I'm not kidding either. We tried to adopt a dog from a local shelter. By the time they got around to doing their "inspection" and "background check", we'd given up and gotten a dog from a private party.

Ruth

6. cayenne47

cayenne47 Critter Mama Supporter

And if they even THINK there is a possiblity that it MIGHT be a purebred, the costs go thru the roof. I'm talking humane society and animal shelters. Ive seen a 'collie' in a shelter that they wanted $300 to adopt out.
    And I've also had them hold one of my purebreds (years ago) and kept telling me for over a week that she wasnt there?! And then tried to charge me over $200 to get her out..and this was in the '70s mind you. MY last dealings with any kind of shelter. :flame: That was a LOT. (And yes, I 'rescue' farm animals and all kinds of critters. Somewhere out by the driveway must be an invisible sign "Big Softie Lives Here' lol. :p

7. Wingdo

On second thought, perhaps I was a little over the top on this post. Regardless, $250 still seems a bit steep to me.

Let's try this a different way:

I'm looking for either a Great Pyr, Standard Collie, or a Border Collie to help out around the farm. It has to be "in tact," healthy, and a pup (no more than 12-14 weeks of age). "Perfection," nor papers, are not any more of a requirement than it would have been for any member of my family. It will get a good home, lots of contact from children (both old and young... me included), and be treated as if it were an old friend, regardless of it's age!

We currently have a 17 3/4 year old (what looks like a BC/Wire Haired Terrier) that has never been asked to do anything, but volenteered to put my youngest son on the school bus for us when he was in kindergarten... he has just gotten back from his final tour of Iraq. She's just a deaf and half blind old mutt and I can't stand the thought of her not being involved with it's initial "family" training.

I'm in north/central KY.

Thanks
    Wing

8. Christina R.

Christina R. Well-Known Member

Wing, You weren't over the top. We foster care sick or newborn kittens and puppies for a RESCUE here in town (Second Chance Animal Rescue). Their adoption fees are in line with the pounds ($60.00 cats, $85.00 dogs). They rely heavily on donations to cover whatever costs they incur. I wish there was a better place near you. I've never heard of that steep of prices.

Post your request for an animal on the barter board and pet forum. Take a look at your local pound. The price might be close in line to what you can afford and you'll be helping a dog that has a death sentence hanging over it's head. As a side thought, mention that you are on social security. It seems like it is high time for animal shelters to provide a senior rate allowing a win-win situation for animals to be companions. The most they can say is no.

9. Wingdo

Christina... "Post your request for an animal on the barter board and pet forum."

Where is this place you speak of ma'am? I'm not too proud to talk with them!

... and you're right! There are many of us on SS that would love to have the company of a dog, especially those that are on the short side of time, but I don't know any of them that can shell out that kind of money!

I talked with a fella this morning that I trained in my particular field back in 1973, and he said he just bought a Sheltie mix from a rescue up in Cincinnati for $325! I told him he was nuts, but he always has been... that's exactly what made him so good at his chosen profession.

Wing

10. Christina R.

Christina R. Well-Known Member

Those forums are on homesteadingtoday.com

The pet forum is the last one listed under livestock forums. The barter board is under the country living links. If you can't find them, I'll copy your message and post them on the forums for you.

We got a phone call about a momma dog and her six newborn puppies the other day. They were doing blood work on the momma to make sure she is healthy. I got to meet them two days ago We go pick everyone up tomorrow. I'll probably have them for about four to six weeks, then we return them to the rescue to be adopted out. It'll be fun having the little ones around the house for a bit. The momma seemed sweet, so I hope there isn't anything up with her.

11. ann

ann Well-Known Member

Our local society has a program for seniors. They basically give you the animal and sometimes a coupla bags of food. Or at least they did. I haven't been in a coupla years. I'm down to 2 dogs and 2 cats and 2 kids (human). That's more than enough for a while.

12. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

The only thing I saying about places like that is they are a pain to deal with. I was wanting to adopt a pup a while back and they have so many rules and all the paper work I just forgot about it and now I have 2 great puppies that I didn't have to deal with lots of paper work. I know they have to have ways to pay for the food, health care and all but wanted me to pay almost 200 bucks. No Way.. I'm a animal lover but I'm not giving 200 bucks for a pup that may not be a prebred pup either.