Longtrac for sale locally,thoughts?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by oz in SC, Nov 21, 2006.

1. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

Found a Longtrac 320 tractor for sale locally for $6000.

Comes with bush hog,box blade,harrow and drawbar.
    Less than 200 hours according to the seller.

From a quick search it is small but powerful.

What do y'all think?

2. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Dealers anywhere near you? parts availability? Heck, I can't even get their website to open.

I would run away from it personally. Buy a JD, Massey, New Holland, or heck even a kubota... stay away from that unknown stuff, no matter how attractive the price is.

3. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Long Tractor has been importing fairly normal tractors for a long time, You'd still want a local dealer. Guess they've renamed themselves Farmtrac, they were getting awfully close to New Hollands logo etc. as Long..... maybe they were asked nicely to distance themselves from NH? http://www.farmtrac.com/ Long used to sell Perkins powed fords here, and they still come up used now and then. Never heard anything bad about them. 320 seems to be a Mitsubishi powered tractor sellign around 15k new? (by the website's financing calculator) so for a nearly new 320 + attachments at 6k....... what's wrong with it?

4. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

I can go look at it on Saturday...

What should I look for?

I didn't ask the model year so will call him back and find out.
    Any other questions I should ask?

Around here there isn't a lot of farm useage for tractors,they are used for clearing trails through land for hunting and bush hogging and planting food plots.

The seller says it was made in Romania if that helps anyone.

5. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Looks for leaks smoke weird noises hesitation in steering or hydraulics, gears that pop out of engagment, weld and casting quality. Can't say I've heard much good about Romanian built tractors from teh 80's. Universal tractors 50-70 hp based on the proven White 2-65 would have axles split in to peices from poor steel quality and leaked something terrible. That was a long time ago, the first Zetors were kinda shakey too, now they're decent machines. This 320 sounds very different but the price is a wonder. Why is he taking such a hit on a 15k tractor and 2k worth of impliments. Less than 200 hours is barely broken in.

6. Jolly

Jolly Well-Known Member

I've got an old Romanian (1973 Long 350 with cornbread steering). It's been a good tractor, except the hydraulics are a bit weak.

As mentioned, don't park that vintage on your concrete ...

7. Ole Man Legrand

Ole Man Legrand Well-Known Member

I own a 680 Long trac 69hp.and a 2510 long 49 HP with a front end loader. I had a 560 long I bought in 1978 I traded it for the 680. I think Long bought Ford out or vise versa. There has been a name change.Now the only thing I see is Farm Trac.THe ones out of Romanian have a Fiat diesel EngineThese tractor have give good service. I don't know the horse power of the 320

The fuel filters are hard to change and will leak.The gear ratio is great on these tractors and they have a lot of power. I think you have found a bargain.Lets us know your out come.The Gears are not sychronized in 1 and 2 Always shift to 4th before going to 1 or 2 and it will not scrape. Jay