Homesteading Forum banner

Longleaf Pine Stumps

5K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Ed in S. AL 
#1 ·
Get rich selling "Lightard Splinters", this is what we call it in the South. This is lightwood or fatwood of aged pine trees and is full of volatile oils and tar, there's nothing better to start a fire. I remember as a boy there was plenty of lightard stumps in the woods and it was common practice to slice off peices for starting fires and picking up lightard knots to have a quick fire. This commodity is rare now and hard to find due to demand by chemical companies for making many products from it. I've heard people say you could pay for a vacation by loading up your car trunk with small bundles of fatwood and selling to dealers in places like Gatlinburg. Just thought this might be a souce of income if you are lucky enough to have some stumps on your place.
http://www.orvis.com/store/product_...=5818&cktst=true&subcat_id=7008&catredir=true

#2 ·
Nope. No sir. I ain't sellin' my lightard knot to anyone. It's all mine. Saving it up for when for hard times one day. If people knew how much lightard knot I got around here, they would be beatin' down my door to buy it up. I got tons of it. Got several pieces 60 feet long and 2 to 3 foot thick. Then I watch some of the rich folks around these parts pay $200 for a trash can full of splinters.

#3 ·
Ed in S. AL said:
Nope. No sir. I ain't sellin' my lightard knot to anyone. It's all mine. Saving it up for when for hard times one day. If people knew how much lightard knot I got around here, they would be beatin' down my door to buy it up. I got tons of it. Got several pieces 60 feet long and 2 to 3 foot thick. Then I watch some of the rich folks around these parts pay $200 for a trash can full of splinters.
Ed, who would ever have thought they would be selling splinters with a bow around them in upscale departments stores for 1.50 a lb? I sold most of my stumps for 2.00 a ton, I did it at the time to just to get rid of them, but wish I had them back. I do still have some whole logs in a small creek bed and I've saved a pretty good pile of old rail fence posts and stumps. Times, they are a changing.

#4 ·
I've seen little bundles of splinters in some of the gas stations headed up to the hunting camp, and they would have a price of $8 on them. Me and the daddy in law would just laugh at what people will pay for. The $200 dollars for a trash can full of splinters was at a hunting camp I work on every year. Them guys was nuts. I finally decided to be nice to those fellers, and went down in the woods at their camp, and drug them a fat 3 foot by 6 foot long stump of fat lightard up. Boy was they happy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.