longhorns

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by jerzeygurl, Oct 25, 2006.

1. jerzeygurl

jerzeygurl woolgathering

kids bought some longhorn heifers at an auction a few years ago with their gpa, got us a "steer" as well that ended up being a heifer as well BONUS for steer price. As we are not particularly into longhorns(we want to concentrate on our jerseys) we would like to get rid of them.
    As we are not into them dont really know what they are worth. They have been exposed to full blood jersey bull. Also don't know where to market them other than here, at action one would be at mercy of hoping a long horn buyer would be there.

they are attractive one will eat out of hand, other is stand offish, third is flighty, standoffish one is a heavier build.

any help would be apreciated.

2. cindy04

cindy04 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure where you are in MO, but we live about 1 hour north of KC. There are some folks around Holt, MO (right on Hwy 35) with longhorns. I'm not sure of there name, but they may have a web site or something.

3. Razorback21

Razorback21 Well-Known Member

You might be surprised to find they could be more salable than what you think. The Doctor/Lawyer hobby types around here like Longhorns as pasture ornaments. We had a few of them a couple years ago. Docile creatures, easy going, but they are like the devil to put weight on. My other breeds outperformed them by more than a half pound a day.

Razorback21

4. NWMO

NWMO Well-Known Member

Try advertising in the KC Star or Metro area newspapers....I know of one gentleman with over 100 head in/around the KC area. You just might find a specialty buyer looking for exactly what you have....I agree, stay away from the auction house....unless you might find an "exotic" or specialty type sale.

Where are you located in Missouri?

5. wilderness1989

wilderness1989 Well-Known Member

Is the cow registered with the ALBAA? http://tlbaa.org/
    I had a hers of Registered Texas Longhorns when I lived in MO. They can be worth a lot of money if they are the right bloodline, have the right conformation, and are pretty, if you are in the right place at the right time. I had continued to build a herd keeping my best heifers and selling the culls as calves to the roping industry. The last time talked to someone selling to the ropers said that they were bring $600-700 a head. Texas Longhorns are noted for small calves, when born, and breeding to a Jersey bull should bring you a really small calf when it hits the ground. Many commercial cow herds use longhorn bulls on their first calf heifers to ease calving problems.

6. jerzeygurl

jerzeygurl woolgathering

yes i heard that long horn bulls were used for that reason, we thought possibly these were cross but their horns say other wise at this point, one of them is quite heavy, beefier build.
    we are 45 min north east kc