Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Lost in the Wiregrass
8,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The original commercial beef of the south west. And the south east equivalent, the Pineywoods cattle. I am curious if anyone still uses them for beef. What is the meat quality like? Obviously other breeds were marketed better but how much is accurate and how much propaganda?

·
Registered
762 Posts
I researched this a while back and came away with the conclusion that they were leaner, tougher cattle. Definitely well suited to the free-range, sparse conditions, and long cattle drives of the old west. As far as getting a plump, well marbled steak out of one....?? Maybe not so much.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
46,098 Posts
Absolutely lean. Lots of Texans have them simply for their property tax exemption.

I do have a friend who raises and shows them.

Feedlot finishes the culls and sells Longhorn beef packages at a premium.

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
There are hobby farmers around here that raise them. Definitely less value processed or at the sale barn in this area of the world (SE US). The big commercial operations around here get some when the hobbyists sell out and break out the hack saw early on.

If you are raising beef for your own consumption and doing low stocking rates in sparse conditions, it might be a good choice. If you are raising beef for your own consumption or to make money, unless you are in an arid, wide open area, then it may be worthwhile to consider a different breed.

YMMV.

·
Lost in the Wiregrass
8,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When we are set up to have a few cows I want something different and enjoyable to look at as well as delicious in our own freezer. Not terribly concerned with market prices. I’m aware they are considered a “ niche” type market animal. I guess my main concern of fattening a steer for our own use is relative because dairy steers are grown for beef all the time.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
I've read that they are surprisingly docile for a breed that developed put of the nearly wild stock that was roaming TX freely at the end of the Civil War, but then, brandishing those menacing weapons for all to see, I guess they can afford to be nice guys....a compelling argument for open carry rights.

·
Registered
42,452 Posts
LH's are great mothers.

My brother sells LH beef. Folks love it

A guy close by puts Red Angus on LH cows. Does a good freezer beef operation.

·
Premium Member
7,168 Posts
The beef is probably fine. I see the pets and they look like they will put on a little bit of fat. Holstein beef is excellent and they won't put on much fat.

The issue would be, if you are raising for your own table that the fed conversion ratio is not good. It would cost a lot to raise one up and then butcher later (older) as you try to get some size on them. There are better choices to raise for meat on the table.

A bit off topic, but the meat from the piney woods cattle is supposed to be really good. I don't know how closely they are related, but they are the same sort of independent cattle who don't need to be coddled and don't need special feed.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
In regards differences in the meat produced between breeds-- it's kinda like taking a 7ft tall Ubangi tribesman and raising him with a 350 lb Russian heavyweight wrestler. They can eat the same food and train the same in the gym routine everyday, but the one will never wind up looking like the other....Different breeds grow their muscles and marble it differently, and if you're a Cannibal, you probably won't like the size of a T-Bone from a Pygmy, no matter how well it's marbled.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts