Longer hair on older women

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by homebody, Aug 19, 2006.

1. homebody

homebody Well-Known Member

I hope I can put this into words correctly. Is it expected (by people in general) that as a woman ages, her hair should be shorter? Another way to say it is: Do people think that you are desparately trying to be youthful if you have longer hair when you are 50 Plus? I hope this is just a misconception I have as I would like to grow mine out to the shoulders or longer. Does this make sense at all?

Does having longer hair as a mature woman imply that I'm in denial of my age?

2. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

It's your hair, and you live in a free country. I think it's sexy, in a barefooted hairy folk singer kind of way................ :hobbyhors

3. Skittles2u

Skittles2u Well-Known Member

Well... I have long hair and I'm..... older. I like being able to pull it up in the summer and its cooler than any short hairstyle I've ever had. I also visit and belong to a forum about long hair on women and it made me feel good that "older" women can wear long hair...

I do agree though, that a lot of people feel "older" women should have short hair styles.

Any way, give it a try... and just think you can save on hairstyling costs every 4-6 weeks if you let it grow.

4. WAB

WAB Well-Known Member

Thats entirely up to you. Do whats right for you, not what someone else think.

Besides, Long hair is beautiful on someone that likes it.

5. crystalniche

crystalniche Well-Known Member

I'm 56 and keep my hair long because I like it this way. It is so easy for me to put it into a low ponytail and keep it off my face. Besides I never have to get a haircut, a trim will do. I can trim it myself so it doesn't cost me anything. My mom let her hair grow out some as she got older because it softened her face and simply looks nicer.

6. Ann-NWIowa

Ann-NWIowa Well-Known Member Supporter

My neighbor is in her 80's and has beautiful shoulder length hair. Makes her look much younger than her age...it is not gray which I strongly suspect is not natural!! Still her hair is lovely and she's a lovely lady all the way around.

7. ann

ann Well-Known Member

I love long hair and once had it waist length. Then I started working road construction. The hotter it got, the shorter it got. Now its between 1 1/2 and 2 inches long and cropped in the back. Maybe one day I'll grow it again if I can stand the "growing out" stage.

8. Salmonberry

Salmonberry Registered Nut

I have always loved long gray hair on an older women. It's easy, it can be worn up or down, and I think, it does soften the face. I'm 37 and have long hair. I think I'll keep it.

Salmonberry

9. deere-cat

deere-cat Workin hard, playin hard

Speaking as a man in my mid-forties, IMHO I don't feel that it is "expected" for older women to have shorter hair. Personally, I think all women are prettier with longer hair, no matter what their age.

Homebody, let your hair grow, if that's what you want to do!

10. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

This is one of my pet peeves. I am "older" and I have long hair. It's long enough that I can put it up in a pony tail then style it so it looks like a short hair style. One day I had it up that way and a friend made the statement that I look so much younger with short hair. (do women cut their hair because they think it makes them look younger?) After that I started gathering opinions from lots of friends and even from strangers when waiting in lines, etc. The results of my "survey" are very interesting.

Almost all females of all ages think all women should wear short hair when they get older. Some of the reasons given were: "it's easier to take care of", "it makes an older woman look younger", and "it uses less hair dye". LOL

All males of all ages said they prefer long hair even on older women.

Keep in mind, this was not a scientific study, just my own little survey of people I know and some strangers that I happened to strike up a conversation with here and there.

So, now I'm wondering. When did the "cut your hair when you turn 40" idea come about? What started that type of thinking? What's the reason for it?

My hair has been long almost all my life. I've cut it short a couple of times, and I've regretted it each time. It will never be cut short again. Every now and then I trim off a few inches to get rid of the split ends, but it will never again be to short for a pony tail.

edited to add: Do ya think it's a conspiracy by the hair care people to get women into the beauty shops more often? LOL

11. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

I'm 42 and I have long hair. I have had long hair my whole life, except for one brief episode of shortness which I regretted horribly.

I am starting to see why many women cut their hair as they age. My hair has thinned in the last few years quite a bit. It used to take two twists of a ponytail holder to put it up, now it takes 3-4. If my scalp starts shining....I think I will go short just to cover that! I'll be the female combover LOL.

Jena

12. belladulcinea

belladulcinea Well-Known Member

When I turned 35, my mom asked me when I was going to cut my hair. I asked her if that was in the rule book! :D Mine stays fairly long cause I like to pull it up off my neck but if I wanted it short I would probably cut it allll off and go really short. Not all women think they look good in long hair and some don't like short. I do not think we are bound by any rule nowadays that says our hair should be a certain length, I do think when my mom was in her 30's though, you just cut your hair because it was expected.

13. Lizi

Lizi Active Member

When we had a family health disaster :help: in 1996 I decided to let my hair grow until I got "organized." It is 10 years later, I am 52, still not organized. Every now and then I get the brilliant idea to have my husband cut it, and he reminds me of what a pain it was for him to trim it just the way I wanted it (literally turned into fighting over it and me chopping it more when he wasn't looking.) Short hair needed to be fooled with too much...I just have to pin it up when I'm out with the goats or they will trim it for me! Plus I can let it blow in the wind when I am driving alone, reliving my childhood. Keep it long. You can pin it up for those moments you want it "short."

14. backtotheland

backtotheland Well-Known Member

I'm 53 and have long gray hair. I keep it long because, like many of you ladies, I cut it short a couple of times and regretted it. It is so much easier for me to take care of when it's long. I used to dye it because I've had gray hair since I was 16 and I didn't want to embarass my youngest child but one day I decided that God gave me the gray hair and I could live with it. My daughter doesn't seem to mind at all. I like my hair just the way it is.

15. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

my sister's mother in law has always had long hair. she never dyed it and i thought she looked good with the gray streaks. my brother's ex MIL is the same way. i think the gray in long hair, with the original color too, looks good. i like to see the change in color in long hair. to me it just seems right.

when i was about 18 or 19, i was "hittin it off" with a lady in her forties. she has very long hair. we almost went out until she cut her hair and i lost interest. (i know...but i was young and vain i guess)

jena, by the way...if it gets too thin, totally bald women are sexy too!

16. KindredSpirit

KindredSpirit Well-Known Member

I am 48 and my hair is shoulder length. I have kept it longer because for one thing it is thicker, and also because I am 5'8". I just think it looks better with my height.

17. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

Its possible that some older women have shorter hair because thier health is failing or they have developed new allergies to things they have always used.
    Have you ever seen older women with the poofy 'do and realize you can see thier scalp? Bet it wasnt that thin when they were in thier 30's and not on thyroid, arthritis or heart medications....

18. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

My hair is fuzzy, curly, and looks TERRIBLE when it is short! AT least when it is long I can do something with it! So, I wear mine long.

Actually, I think that short hair is more flattering on older women, but I think that if I cut my hair it would look halfway between an Afro and a pageboy! And, nothing looks sillier than an Afro that isn't QUITE fuzzy enough!

So says Terri, who has red ringlets when her hair first dries, and who wears it in a low ponytail the REST of the time!

19. Ed Norman

Ed Norman Well-Known Member

A radio host I listen to talks about women aging. He says you are married to a woman for years and one day you come home and discover you are now married to Bob. I can't stand that crew cut older women think they need. Keep it long, it looks great. And who cares if it turns gray?

20. mayfair

mayfair a yard full of chickens

My mom is 66 ad has long hair. She's always had long hair. It's thick and looks good. I don't think there's any reason a mature woman shouldn't have long hair- if she wants to.